DDR2 or DDR3 (1 Viewer)

Newman

Québécois
Local time
Today, 15:13
I am looking into building up a new PC and wonder if I should look at DDR3 or keep going with the DDR2. I am looking for a big computer that could be good for many years (easily upgradable). So I thought that I should buy DDR3, but I am not sure. Is it worth the latency difference? Should I start with a low-end DDR3 and upgrade to a better one later or should I get a high-end DDR2 and keep it as long as I can? Also, I have to admit that I am not much into overclocking RAM. The little you can get in doing so, doesn't seem to be worth the trouble.

If it helps, here is what I am looking to get, although my choices are still not completely done:
Intel Duo 6750
Nvidia 8800GTS (Will make it a SLI when it's price comes down a bit)
RAM: Although I haven't made a choice right now, I'll probably go with a Corsair, Patriot or OCZ. Will start with 2x1G but mobo will have to go as high as possible.
Mobo: Haven't look at them yet. Waiting for a conclusion to my RAM question. Will have to be highly upgradable though.
Antec 900 case with an Ultra X3 1000W PSU (These aren't cheap, but they will last almost forever.)
Viewsonic 20" wide monitor.
Windows Vista Ultimate
As for every thing else, I'll probably stick with what I already have for now.

If you have any website to refere me to, I'd be glad.
If you want to argue with any other parts of my future computer, feel free. Good advises are always welcome.
Thanks!

Newman

Québécois
Local time
Today, 15:13
Thank you, these articles were very good. I still don't know which one to choose but, at least, I now know why. ;)
I have been taking a look at motherboards and cannot find any with intel processor, DDR3 and SLI. So I'll probably stick with DDR2. Also, I can get 2x2G for the price of a single 1G DDR3.
Thank you very much!

jaytheguru

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:13
Thank you, these articles were very good. I still don't know which one to choose but, at least, I now know why. ;)
I have been taking a look at motherboards and cannot find any with intel processor, DDR3 and SLI. So I'll probably stick with DDR2. Also, I can get 2x2G for the price of a single 1G DDR3.
Thank you very much!

So I think everything is hunky dory, we should close this post then.

Admin!!!

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom