Delete Duplicartes Query (1 Viewer)

USA_Chancer

Local time
Today, 04:45
Hiya - I created this simple delete query to delete all duplicate phone numbers from a master "Do Not Call List'...However it deletes ALL versions of the number from the table, including the original. What do I have to change so that it leaves 1 version of the number in the table?

thanks in advance -

In (SELECT [HOMEPHONE] FROM [Table Name] As Tmp GROUP BY [HOMEPHONE] HAVING Count(*)>1 ) :confused:

Jon K

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:45
I think you can use NOT IN with the help of another field in the table that can be compared with Max(), for example a [Date] field, a numeric field or even a text field:-

Delete *
FROM TableName as a
WHERE [Date] not in (Select Max([Date]) from TableName where HomePhone=a.HomePhone);

This will retain the most recent record for each [HomePhone].

Note. Running NOT IN may take time if the table is large as it cannot be optimised. Using the help of a date/numeric field can run faster than a text field.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

USA_Chancer

Local time
Today, 04:45
Got It

Thx - from another forum - much simpler for anyone else who needs it...copy and paste the table structure to a new table, make the phonenumber field a primary field. use an append query to append the fields to the new table. delete the old table and rename the new. works great.

hagd....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom