Deleted relationships (1 Viewer)

ksaab

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:35
I have an Access mdb database with several mde "front ends" set up. It has tblCompanies where primary key = CompanyKey and tblNames where primary key = NameKey. There is a one to many relationship from tblCompanies.CompanyKey to tblNames.CompanyKey. Somehow this relationship was deleted...not by me..is there any way possible that an end user working form an mde could delete this relationship. If not, in what other ways may this have been deleted?

Thanks for any help!

ksaab

Robert Dunstan

Mr Data
Local time
Today, 12:35
Hi there,

I've had a similar problem too!

Basically a few months ago, users were starting to complain that the database was extremely slow and I couldn't figure out why. It was only by chance that I discovered that a relationship was missing / deleted and it happened to be between the 2 main tables in the database. I re-instated the relationship without no probelms and hey presto everything was fine and all the users were happy chappies.

I'm using Access 2002 (in AC2K file format) and the database is split but not a mde front end. I too am curious to know how a relationship can be removed without someone actually physically opening up the back end .mdb and go into the relationships window and delete the relationship.

Rob :confused:

Robert Dunstan

Mr Data
Local time
Today, 12:35
Hi Andi

It is entirely possible that my users did get a warning and chose to igore it. If an system warning message did appear then they would normally contact me for more information. However I've tried to cover all eventualties where Access default messages are concerned. Also all of the users don't have detailed knowledge of Access so it is highly unlikely they would even open up the back end .mdb let alone delete the relationships.

ksaab

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:35
Yes, I too went through and tried to make a map to analyze all entry points to the DB from the MDE. In my case the MDB is hidden and the MDE's are the only thing available to the users. I know someone could feasibly "unhide" objects and "find" my MDB's on the network. Unless there is some way that the relationships corrupt themselves in certain situations I have to now assume a user made the change. Unfortuately, this means having to find more tricky ways of securing Access...which is a pain in the bees knees.

Thanks for all you input though...if anyone has any security suggestions pass them along :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom