Deleting Row in Sub Form (1 Viewer)

Hanz

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:01
Hi,

I got 2 forms named TruckMaintenance_Main and TruckMaintenance_sub. On my Sub form i have a delete button to delete a row and this code below works if I click the delete button on TruckMaintenance_sub. But when i put TruckMaintenance_Sub as sub form of TruckMaintenance_main, the delete button won't work. Can anyone help me why this code won't work?

Private Sub btnDelete_Click()
Dim SQL As String

SQL = "DELETE tbl_TruckMaintenance.TruckRego, tbl_TruckMaintenance.TrailerRego, tbl_TruckMaintenance.DriverName" _
& " FROM tbl_TruckMaintenance" _
& " WHERE (((tbl_TruckMaintenance.TruckRego)=[Forms]![Truck Maintenance_sub]![txtTruck]));"

DoCmd.RunSQL SQL
Me.Requery

End Sub

Ranman256

Local time
Yesterday, 22:01
the path may be wrong:
usu: forms!myMasterForm!subform!form!txtbox

USE THE BUILDER...it always gets it correct.

put it in a query and it runs fine:
docmd.openquery "qdDeleteQry"

Hanz

Registered User.
Local time
But that code works if it is outside the mainform. if i put it in a main form as a sub form, it doesn't work. so i think the path won't be the issue.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 18:01
Path is the issue. If code is behind subform don't use full path. Also, concatenate:

& " WHERE TruckRego=" & Me.[txtTruck]

If TruckRego is text type then need apostrophe delimiters:

& " WHERE TruckRego='" & Me.[txtTruck] & "'"

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Did you move the delete button to a different form? If so you will need to change the path.
Did you put your form object in another object? If so you will need to change the path.
Did you move the code out of an event within the form object? If so you will need to change the path.

Reason is ACCESS tracks things by referencing the highest level object FIRST, then working down. If you change to using Me.ControlName and do this from within the object you are referencing Me fills in all of the previous parts (form. or report.) for you.

Hanz

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks to all who responded. I got this issue resolved.

Hanz

Registered User.
Local time
I did the same thing to my other form as what was discussed previously but this code won't work on my sub form.
Private Sub btnDelete_Click()
Dim SQL As String

SQL = " DELETE tbl_ListContainer.ID " _
& " FROM tbl_ListContainer " _
& " WHERE ID = me.txtID"

Me.Requery

End Sub

I got that SQL from this action query

DELETE tbl_ListContainer.ID
FROM tbl_ListContainer
WHERE (((tbl_ListContainer.ID)=[Forms]![AddContainerList]![txtID]));

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 18:01
All that code does is build SQL string. It does not Run the SQL.

And again, must concatenate reference to form control. Review post 4 and follow working example.

Mark_

Local time
Hans,

One of the reasons all of us recommend you build a string for SQL in a variable is so that you can show what will be passed. If you use
Code:
msgbox "SQL is " & SQL
to show your SQL string FIRST, you will see that you have a poorly formed SQL string as June pointed out.

In general, when you write your own SQL to do things instead of letting ACCESS do the work for you, you will need to verify what you are doing often. In the future, I would strongly suggest using something (msgbox, textbox on the screen, debug.print, email to yourself) to show what you will be passing so you can make sure it is what you want.

You will also want to write down exactly, step by step, what you are trying to do. That can help when you forget do execute something like the SQL string.

Hanz

Registered User.
Local time
I was so confident that I got Jun7's post previuosly. Actually i tried concatenating and even put quote even though i know that my ID is a number but still doesn't work. Just realize that i asked a very stupid question :). I run the SQL and it's working now.

Thanks for your patience.

Mark_

Local time
No stupid question, especially if you learned something from it! I've learned more about what ACCESS does or doesn't do based on what other's called "Stupid questions" than I ever would have from a class!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom