Deploy MS Access on Web (1 Viewer)

Nagesh

Local time
Today, 02:23
I have MS Access database split into BE and FE.
FE has been saved as ACCDE file. I want to deploy this program on to web, where users can edit / add data into the database
My Access programs has quite a few VBA codes on the front end.

Requirements;
  1. MS Access Online
  2. Maximum 3 to 4 users
Please help to deploy MS Access on to web (cheap and best option)

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:23
Only option is to use terminal server or citrix unless you want to completely rewrite your app in another language

Or if this is just for 4 users, investigate using a VPN.

Plenty of examples and links if you google each of those terms

Also look at the bottom of this thread where other users have asked the same question

Nagesh

Local time
Today, 02:23
Only option is to use terminal server or citrix unless you want to completely rewrite your app in another language

Or if this is just for 4 users, investigate using a VPN.

Plenty of examples and links if you google each of those terms

Also look at the bottom of this thread where other users have asked the same question
Thanks.
Will certainly try terminal server.

Auntiejack56

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:23
My company does this if you are happy for your backend to be migrated to SQL Server. Spoiler alert: monthly per user charge.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Yesterday, 16:23
Although terminal server or Citrix is ONE option, that is by no means the "only" option.

Please also take note that looking for both cheap and best option is a contradiction. The best solution is the one that meets your needs, in a way you can manage, and which is cost-effective. Cheap is, well, cheap, and often that means far from the best. In addition, for one situation the best solution could be quite different from another situation. Try to put the requirements in measurable terms, instead. What does this solution need to do? What is the standard for success is doing so? How much can I afford to spend on this solution?

You can successfully implement a terminal server or Citrix solution, or you can successfully implement a hosted SQL Server or SQL Azure solution. It depends on the specifics of your environment and requirements. There are even companies that will totally host everything for you on a cloud server. All of these cost some amount of money. How much you are willing to spend will determine which, if any are affordable to your organization.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:23
Please be aware that a web-based deployment of Access will not work. Access doesn't do "web." The problem is a combination of protocols and stability. Web connections use HTTP and variants, which use a "cookie" concept to define a session. Access, however, defines (and REQUIRES) that a session be of the more traditional kind, with a continuous connection and SMB protocols. The problem is that the MOMENT your SMB protocol session fails, you will very likely corrupt your database and face data loss. HTTP tolerates network hiccups; SMB does not.

The CITRIX or Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) allows you to do work at point A and see the results at point B by transferring the mouse and keyboard inputs to point A and relaying the screen outputs back to point B. The only data transferred comes from the commands and (essentially) screen captures. This can be difficult to set up correctly for multiple users but is possible. Most other methods either don't work at all for Access or they work with difficulty. Access CAN work in a VPN environment.

If you MUST have a true web-based application, you will develop it in something other than Access. Earlier in this thread, CJ_London suggested looking in the "Similar Threads" area at the bottom of the page. I see at least two threads that will go deeper into the discussion. Call them "recommended reading" that is on-point for what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom