Deploying Database to users PC by CD-ROM (1 Viewer)

cocoonfx

cocoonfx
Local time
Today, 13:53
Hello

I have created a DB which has a front end which is linked to a backend where all my datas kept.

I want to install my database via cd-rom using and install wizard. If i ask the install wizard to c:/user/programs/ would i have any problems with the links between the front end and back end?

If i would how a problem with the links to the front end how would i cover come this?

Moniker

VBA Pro
Local time
Today, 07:53
There's a reason InstallSheild costs several hundred dollars. :)

The easiest way around it is to use a self-extracting ZIP file that recreates the folder/subfolder structure you want.

cocoonfx

cocoonfx
Local time
Today, 13:53
hello

yes i was looking at install shield and thought forget that! so a self extracting zip file. Ok i will have to have a play around with zip.

Jakboi

Death by Access
Local time
Today, 08:53
I found a much easier method. I created a exe file that takes the frontend off the shared drive and puts it on each users computer and takes the shortcut and puts it in the start menu and in the IE favorites of each user.

All you do is send them the application file and once they click they are all set and setup.

Its quite easy. If you want it let me know, but if your all set than nevermind.

mawcluster

Local time
Jakboi if you don't mind I'd be interested to see your .exe file.

I could probably learn how to make one myself, but why re-invent the wheel when I could just view yours.

Mark-BES

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:53
Try this...

Hi,

If you want an installer program try this http://www.clickteam.com/eng/installcreator.php

Unlike most, its not hundreds of pounds and it is simple to use (wizard based)
I have used it a number of time and its pretty good.
You can download a free fully functional version or purchase a registered version for about £30 ish quid.

Jakboi

Death by Access
Local time
Theres a program that automates windows task which I used to make the following:

Found Here: Autoit Downloads

Then make a txt file and name it with a .au3 extension. Put this code into the txt file and adjust what you would like then open the file with the program:

PHP:
DirCreate ( "C:\Databases\Pipeline Reports" )
FileCopy ( "\\nas\trustdivision\DivsionShare\Monthly Tracking\Pipeline Report\Pipeline Reports.mde", "C:\Databases\Pipeline Reports", 9 )
DirCreate ( @FavoritesDir & "\TIC Reports"  )
FileCopy ( "\\nas\trustdivision\DivsionShare\Monthly Tracking\Pipeline Report\Pipeline Reports.lnk", @FavoritesDir & "\TIC Reports", 9 )
DirCreate ( @StartMenuDir & "\TIC Reports"  )
FileCopy ( "\\nas\trustdivision\DivsionShare\Monthly Tracking\Pipeline Report\Pipeline Reports.lnk", @StartMenuDir & "\TIC Reports", 9 )
MsgBox (4096, "Installation Complete", "The Pipeline Database has successfully completed setup on your computer.  You can now delete the Install Pipeline program.  Any questions please contact [COLOR="Red"]YOUR NAME[/COLOR]. ", 60)

Change the location where you would like the FE copied from and to and test it on yourself. Any questions let me know if you have issues with this.

You then select Compile Script. Choose a .exe icon. I used the attached I made from a screenshot. I then put the exe on the shared folder and send the link to my users then its all set.

Attachments

• favicon.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom