Difficulty with the CREATE TABLE function using VB on a CMD button (1 Viewer)

Jabell

Local time
Today, 10:27
Hello,

I have a CMD button which I want to use to create a temporary table with the records from selected results in a list box but I am having trouble creating my table using the Creat table funtion as shown below

Private Sub CMDedit_details_Click()

CurrentProject.Connection.Execute "CREATE TABLE edit (id INT, company CHAR, address1 CHAR, address2 CHAR, town CHAR, county CHAR, pcode CHAR, telephone CHAR);"

When I try to create the table with more than the 8 columns shown here, the debuger tells me the Record is too large.

Are there limitations when creating a table, to how many columns you can have?

My aim is to create a temporary table with selected results which can be used in a subform to edit information, then I can save the changes to the data in the origonal table. This means I need around 12 columns, but I can't seem to create more thn 8.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jack Cowley

Registered User.
Local time
Hmmm. Why do you need to create a temporary table? Can't you use a query as the Record Source for your subform? It just seems like you are going to more work than you need to....

Jack

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:27
Records are limited to 2k in length. How many characters are being defined for each of the CHAR fields? If it is 255, you can run out of room in a hurry.

Jabell

Local time
Ever come to a point where you can either, scrap your original idea and do something a different way that is more simple and ultimately better?

My form started as just a front page to look at my data but then I was told my boss wanted to be able to edit all the info so i wabted to export the data from the pretty list box into a new sub form which could then edit the info and resave it over the old info using the PK as the link...... I know what your thinking, why not just use a subform to show the data in the main form to begin with..... well I did and now it works, to be honest I was just a little afraid of subforms!

thanks for the replies

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom