Display a pdf-file in a report?

Ole

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:48
Hi
I have a table containing different kind of data including attachment.
When I generate a report I can’t display the attached pdf-file. If I change it to a J-peg it’s no problem.
Does anyone knows how to display the pdf-file in a report?

Assuming the file is in a directory and not an attachment, use a web control using the path as the controlsource.

Reactions: Ole
Assuming the file is in a directory and not an attachment, use a web control using the path as the controlsource.
It’s an attachment

In that case, don’t think you can. You could try setting a web control control source to the attachment but doubt it would work

only way would be to export the file to a folder and have the web control reference that per my first post

Maybe overkill for what you're looking to do but, you could write VBA to launch a console app written in .net (vb or c#) that you pass in some parameters, it executes the report to PDF, saves the attachment as a file and merges the PDFs, then deletes the PDF it created from the attachment file. There is a NuGet package called FreeSpire.PDF that could be used to merge PDF files.

Even if in attachment. The code
1. Saves to local folder
2. Displays in browser
3. Kills file when done.

To display a pdf you can convert the pdf to a displayable format (bitmap, jpg, ...) and display the images. That allows usage of print preview with the contents of the pdf(s) shown.

On Report_Open I use IrfanView via shell command to extract from pdf and wscriptshell.run with waitOnReturn = true as argument, to ensure that the command is executed before the rest of vba code, then a table (bound to the report) is filled with the jpg(s) path(s) to display them in an image control:
Code:
Private Sub Report_Open(Cancel As Integer)

Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
Dim sql As String

Dim db As DAO.Database
Set db = CurrentDb

sql = "SELECT pathToPDF FROM TableWithPathToPDF WHERE getType(pathToPDF) = 'pdf';"
Debug.Print sql

Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(sql, dbOpenSnapshot)

If rs.RecordCount > 0 Then
    Dim wsh As Object
    Set wsh = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

Do Until rs.EOF
        Dim wShellCmd As String
        wShellCmd = """\Path\to\irfanview\i_view32.exe"" """ & rs.Fields("pathToPDF") & """ /extract=(\Path\to\extract\to,jpg) /cmdexit"
        Debug.Print wShellCmd
        Dim ret As Variant
        ret = wsh.Run(wShellCmd, 0, True)
        rs.MoveNext
    Loop
    Set wsh = Nothing

Dim oFSO As Object
    Set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Dim oFile As Object

For Each oFile In oFSO.GetFolder("\Path\to\extract\to").Files
        db.Execute "INSERT INTO TableWithPathToExtractedJPGS (pathToExtractedJPGs) VALUES ('" & oFile.Path & "');",dbFailOnError
    Next oFile
    Set oFSO = Nothing
End If
rs.Close
Set rs = Nothing
Set db = Nothing
End Sub
btw: you are aware of size limits in Access backends (2GB). Only one reason not to use the Attachment-Field type, as files can be huge. Instead save the files to a share and only save the path to file in share in db.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom