Solved Dlookup in Query (1 Viewer)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:28
Are you keeping track of the extra work you are having to do to avoid the best tool?

You never answered the question regarding who wants this project done and are they aware of the box you are in. If you fail to make this database work satisfactorily using just macros, it will be "your" fault. IT will wash their hands of the issue. You have to at least be on record with a valid objection. We can help you to prepare one.

Are they also preventing people from creating macros in Excel and Word? OR, is Access the only software blocked? I don't create a lot of spreadsheets but people who rely on them can't actually do much without macros.

You could try to get your company to get you a certificate so you could "sign" your VBA so they know it is safe. My understanding is that they can make internal certificates so they wouldn't have to purchase a commercial license.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I wasn't questioning the solution. Queries and vba loops should never contain domain functions unless absolutely necessary as we've all said thousands of times.

Last edited:

Sarah.M

Local time
Today, 16:28
I hope you understand my situation. I can't change the cybersecurity policy :(
Please I need positive motivating words that lift our spirits. I'm sure there are people who have the same problem as me
Plz 🙏

Sarah.M

Local time
Today, 16:28
I like this Forum AWF very much.
If my questions bother you, I apologise to you all

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
We have been very supportive. Of course you are not in a position to change the security policy but when the policy gets in the way of doing your job, you might at least want to point it out to the PTB. A number of experts have told you that the policy is Draconian and that there are better methods so it's not like we aren't trying to help you. There are many ways to help. But sometimes, you just need to push back. Unless of course, you're afraid of being fired. In that case, just suck it up and keep on plugging away at those macros.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:28
My original suggestion about talking to the boss was because you perceive yourself to be at the wrong end of the telescope for people to see what is going on. The key is to make this someone else's problem since you don't think you have any clout. And maybe you don't, but if someone else than you really wants this, get their help in slapping aside those restrictions. It is AMAZING what happens when that IT person suddenly finds him/herself under the glare of the spotlight for interfering with necessary company business. That approach even worked for me when I was working with the U.S. Navy, and you can just imagine how strictly THEIR security was set up. The IT staff gets the idea that they are doing you a favor by protecting you, but once someone else sees they are preventing progress, that WILL change. I've seen it too many times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom