DLookUp troubles (1 Viewer)

MICHELE

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:45
I am trying to view information from a query field on a form that is bound by another query so I am trying to use DLookUp.
The form with the field is F-MainEntry. The query that is not bound to the form is Q-PURCHEXPORT2 and the field is STEEL. My DLookUp looks like this and is not working

DLookUp("[STEEL]","[Q-PURCHEXPORT2]","[LSC]=Form![F-MainEntry].[LSC]")

I've tried it a few different ways with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Fizzio

Chief Torturer
Local time
If LSC is an integer
DLookUp("[STEEL]","[Q-PURCHEXPORT2]","[LSC]= " & Forms!F-MainEntry!LSC)

or

If LSC is text
DLookUp("[STEEL]","[Q-PURCHEXPORT2]","[LSC]= '" & Forms!F-MainEntry!LSC & "'")

MICHELE

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you.
I actually copied what you wrote and pasted it and it still doesn't work. LSC is a text field.
Could it have something to do with my query? The field STEEL is actually made from an expression.

Fizzio

Chief Torturer
Local time
No that does not matter. Is the LSC in Forms!F-MainEntry!LSC the name of a control or field value.
You do not actually need the [] around the query name

DLookUp("[STEEL]","Q-PURCHEXPORT2","[LSC]= '" & Forms!F-MainEntry!LSC & "'")

You should, however avoid using operators in the names of your fields, query names etc. Use an underscore _ instead.

MICHELE

Registered User.
Local time
OK. I changed the name of my form and my query and used this expression and it still won't work. I get #Name?

DLookUp("[STEEL]","Q_PurchExport","[LSC]= '" & Forms!F_MainEntry!LSC & "'")

Any other suggestions??

I'm going home now and will try again Monday. Thank You!

Fizzio

Chief Torturer
Local time
Have you preceded it with an = sign?
Also is the name of the form control correct ie the LSC in Forms!F_MainEntry!LSC ?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:45
Fizzio left out the square brackets :) They are REQUIRED whenever your object name is non-standard. You will have a lot less trouble with VBA if you use only properly formed object names - Upper and lower case letters, numbers 0-9, and the underscore (_). Start all names with a letter and keep them under 30 characters.

If LSC is an integer
DLookUp("[STEEL]","[Q-PURCHEXPORT2]","[LSC]= " & Forms![F-MainEntry]!LSC)

or

If LSC is text
DLookUp("[STEEL]","[Q-PURCHEXPORT2]","[LSC]= '" & Forms![F-MainEntry]!LSC & "'")

MICHELE

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you so much, both of you! It works now. I have been working with Access a while, but I steel need to learn so much. I will try to remember correct naming standards. It's gotten me in trouble before. I wish I could change them all that I did in the huge db that I already have.

Thanks again!
This Forum has been a job saver, literally!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom