Does Access 2010 cache locally from Sql Server 2008R2? (1 Viewer)

madEG

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:49
Hello,

This is crazy... never seen this happen before. I have a program that beats up sql server data using a 2010 accdb using odbc and linked tables.

Today I noted that some of the source data was wrong, so I changed it using tsql and sql server management studio. I could see using SSMS that the data was changed/updated.

**BUT** when I was looking at the data through a linked table in my two+ year old app (nothing has changed in months) the old data was still being returned - it was acting as if there was a local cache of the data that wasn't being updated with the new data.

I restarted the accdb, I restarted my workstation - still showed the old data.

How is that possible? Is that possible?

I only see caching options for web services and sharepoint - never before have I experienced this.

The only way I was able to convince the accdb that the data was changed was to open up the linked sql server table in the access app and make the changes there - only then did the access app finally "see" the new/updated data.

What on Earth could this be?!?

Has anyone experienced this before. We don't have any caching stuff on the sql server. The box hasn't been restarted in almost 3 months, so maybe it's just being stupid.

If it was a blocked transaction, then the SSMS wouldn't have showed 'however many records updated' - right? Why wouldn't my access app see the changed data?

Ideas?

I'm stumped.

DavidAtWork

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:49
No way this should be happening. Are you sure the front-end is linking the right back-end database.
The only way I was able to convince the accdb that the data was changed was to open up the linked sql server table in the access app and make the changes there - only then did the access app finally "see" the new/updated data.
If you do this, are the changes now visible through SSMS

David

madEG

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:49
Ok, well, then the only thing that makes sense is that I was making some kind of mistake, that I was not able to identify before I stopped making the mistake.

Maybe a half hour after first noticing the problem, I had to make more reference data changes (using tsql/SSMS) and the accdb saw the change instantly.

I can only assume it was something I was doing, if no one know of any caching ability...

I'm not perfect. I'll accept the above. :)

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom