Does the UK really have laws like this? Or is this just a myth/rumor ? (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 21:29

Have they really made it totally illegal - punishable by arrest and imprisonment - to just stand anywhere in the vicinity of an abortion clinic and silently pray?

Am I reading it right?

Protesting, namely engaging in any act of approval or disapproval or attempted act of approval or disapproval, with respect to issues related to abortion services, by any means. This includes but is not limited to graphic, verbal or written means, prayer or counselling

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:29
Have they really made it totally illegal - punishable by arrest and imprisonment - to just stand anywhere in the vicinity of an abortion clinic and silently pray?
Well, if you are praying silently, then who's going to know..?

But as for the rest of it I don't believe anybody should be able to interfere with somebody going about their business. No one should be able to post your picture without your permission. But as a general principle, as restraining people's freedoms, it is somewhat disconcerting!

Assuming its somewhat similar to this, See here for more Info:-

Mike Krailo

Local time
Today, 00:29
One things for sure, you won't get arrested for sanding silently anywhere else except at those abortion clinics. See if you get arrested anywhere else, go ahead and stand at a McDonalds or some other public establishment and see how many officers swarm you and convict of obstruction to purchase a burger. Maybe they only want the patrons to not get fat and are praying for a more healthy choice of food. But they'll be allowed to do that all day long because it doesn't involve the vulnerable human killing agenda. They're not protecting public space they are focused in on the singular space around abortion clinics and only protecting liberal views. They call it public space protection so they can make it sound like they are protecting the public in general. That's the twisted nature of evil right there and it's amazing that the law enforcement officers are going along with the idea that they can simply arrest you if you look like you are praying.

The problem for them though, is they cannot stop people from praying. You don't have to be at the clinic to pray for them. Prayers work from the other side of the planet as well. It's going to take a lot more than that to stop prayers.

And Isaac, there is a video showing a woman being asked if she is praying outside an abortion clinic. She willingly confessed to praying and was immediately arrested. It's really Orwellian. This happened about six months ago.

Last edited:

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:29
American don't seem to realise how weird their religious behaviours appear to people who live in countries where rationality is valued. So glad I am not condemned to live in the USA.

AngelSpeaks

Local time
Yesterday, 23:29
American don't seem to realise how weird their religious behaviours appear to people who live in countries where rationality is valued. So glad I am not condemned to live in the USA.
The USA is a country of numerous religions from its people who came from all over the world and we allow these people to practice their religion in peace. I assure you that we are relieved that you are not condemned to live here. I guess we are fortunate that the British didn't use us as a penal colony like Australia. Though I am aware of convicts being paroled to people who moved here.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:29

G, you confused me. You used "religious" and "rationality" in the same sentence.

Also note, however, that Isaac's question was about UK behavior, not USA behavior. In states where abortion is still legal, there are laws regarding interference with someone's access to a "Women's Clinic" - but Isaac's article was from Birmingham, England.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom