Don't know where to post this (1 Viewer)

mdjks

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:19
I am developing an Access (2000) database to provide reporting data gathered from SAP and make it easily accessable for 12 analysts. The data set is HUGE, 5 months nearly a gig and will need at least 2 years worth, so I don't see any option other than using SQL as a back end. I have experiance using SQL server as the back end but have never had to develop my own server.

I do not have access to an existing server but do have permission to purchase SQL software, this is where I need the help. If anyone has suggestions, advice, links or other information I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks in advance for your help.

“where I added information”

A lot of you have been reading this but no help.:eek: Did I use a poor title? I have used SQL as a back end but really need to know how to produce one out of thin air.

I ordered SQL 2005 off my company's IT store but when reading further it needs a special operating system, I think. Is this true? What do I need to have in order to provide a very large data set to a bunch of barely computer literate analysts?

These people are excited when they realize that vlookup can do more than one thing!! The concept of a union query would blow them away. I am frustrated with the competency of my co-workers but need to give them something that is idiot proof without letting them know that this is the object.

Currently they are having an SAP download sent to a specified share drive and running an Excel “macro”, moves a couple of columns an such, that puts it into a format that is semi-usable. This is totally inefficient for their needs but they don’t know it as yet.

What I am asking is how to take a fairly robust pc and make it a SQL server that will service a dozen or so people. What kind of operating system is needed and what sort of admin rights will be necessary to allow access to the desktop so they can get their data?

The IT help desk is very scary, not really understanding the requests presented. I haven’t been with the company very long but what I have garnered disturbs me I don’t believe the IT people have a clue.

I’ve been an Access developer for about 4 years now and know this is not an insurmountable obstacle. I am confident that SQL is the solution but haven’t ever had to create it from scratch before. Please, links or other suggestions are MOST appreciated.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:19
I don't know much about SQL server, So I am not sure if my comments will be valid!

I understand that crystal reports can Correlate reports from various record sources have you considered this? If you haven't, it may well be worth looking at because I understand that it's reporting functionality is very similar to the MS Access reports. In other words there would be less of a learning curve for you with your existing MS Access knowledge.

Is there not some sort of reporting function within SQL server? From the posts I have read I believe this to be true.

As to finding out more information, you may want to find a forum that is more SQL related! This forum is mostly MS Access.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom