Double function form best practice? (1 Viewer)

jjturner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:00
Whew - it's been forever since I've posted here!

I'm setting up a form to enable adds/updates to the recordset - your basic single record view -- but I ALSO want a listview of the records for display purposes on the same form.

1) My first thought was to use a listbox to load the 'Display' recordset as RowSource, but this isn't exactly an ideal solution since the formatting options are so limited.

2) My next thought was to use a subform for the 'Display' RecordSource - but since it's a 1-to-1 relationship with the main form RecordSource, it doesn't allow me to setup the standard Parent/Child link fields without filtering the list back to a single record.

3) So, then I thought maybe my whole concept is upside down - the main form single record view should really be the subform, and the listview should be the RecordSource for the main form. But this violates the principle that you shouldn't use subforms to update the main form RecordSource . . .

4) I don't see a way to simply incorporate both the single record update function and the listview display function within the main form itself - the listview is building the fields from lookup tables related to the main table, hence is not updatable (I'm pretty sure...)

That leaves me stuck!

Much thanks for anyone willing to wade through the above and recommend or suggest course of action!

Cheers,
John

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:00
2) No need to relate the main and child forms, just leave them unrelated...

jjturner

Registered User.
Local time
Ah, yes - my sentiments exactly.

But now if I may further indulge your patience, I'm running into a problem which may or may not be related to this setup of unlinked main and child forms -

I'm getting a main form Me.Dirty=True for no apparent reason when I simply navigate through the records (I'm using a BeforeUpdate event for validation when user adds or updates records - but it's getting invoked even when nothing is being changed) . . . :confused:

I actually posted this specific problem on 'another' forum if you wanted a complete background (http://www.utteraccess.com/forums/s...1824283&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1)

Again, many thanks for your time.

Regards,
John

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:00
This I dont know ....

An unlinked child form should not be the root cause of the main form going Dirty...

jjturner

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks - I definitely needed a sanity check. This darn mysterious Me.Dirty is throwing me for a loop!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom