Dropdown menu data to multiple columns (1 Viewer)

Theo Papan

Local time
Tomorrow, 00:42
Hi to everyone. I have a form with a dropdown menu in a field. I want to enter the each value from the menu to a different column on the table. Is that possible? I have tried and google but couldnt find anything

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:42
Welcome aboard @Theo Papan I assume by dropdown menu, you mean combo box. But you've lost me with the rest of the request. I think you might want to create a crosstab query. That pivots rows of data into columns. Posting two pictures might clarify things.

Theo Papan

Local time
this is what I mean. Hope it helps

1696778913534.png

1696778934162.png

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Both pictures show lists. You said you wanted to change a list (rows) to columns.

Please try again. Google translate isn't good with technical words.

Theo Papan

Local time
What I wrote was " each value from the menu to a different column on the table". Meaning: different column in the table for JCAC, CAC, RCAC etc when chosen in the form

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 22:42
Perhaps explain why, as the reason you have not found anything on Google is because is is a very strange request/process?

Theo Papan

Local time
I was sure that would be the answer! lol. Anyway... I ll try another way

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:42
Let me see if I got the idea.

You have a combo or list box that lets you select a value.

You say that you wish to PUT that value in a different column of the table based on what value was selected. In effect, you have a record source with multiple columns and you wish to put a value in a selected column based on the list selection. So if you select JCAC you would want something to happen in field A of the current record. If you select CAC, you want something to happen in field B of the current record.

That is what it sounded like. Before I discuss this further, I want to verify my understanding of what you want.

Theo Papan

Local time
Let me see if I got the idea.

You have a combo or list box that lets you select a value.

You say that you wish to PUT that value in a different column of the table based on what value was selected. In effect, you have a record source with multiple columns and you wish to put a value in a selected column based on the list selection. So if you select JCAC you would want something to happen in field A of the current record. If you select CAC, you want something to happen in field B of the current record.

That is what it sounded like. Before I discuss this further, I want to verify my understanding of what you want.
You are correct!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:42
Your problem suggests to me that you need to study something called "database normalization" because you are treating the dataset like a spreadsheet. With Access, that is not always a correct viewpoint. Also, your choice of the term "column" is a subtle indicator of an Excel or other spreadsheet background, since in Access the correct term is "field." This is not a "knock" against you because we have seen folks "in transition" between Excel and Access do the same thing hundreds of times.

I'm not saying you can't do what you described, but what I understood of your problem suggests that you have value-oriented or value-related column names / field names - which is usually a sign of a denormalized database. You absolutely CAN have denormalized tables but they are highly inefficient. Before we help you build a database of questionable efficiency, perhaps we should direct you to learning about more efficient methods.

If you search this forum you can find some discussions of normalization. However, this is a database forum. If you search the general web you must search for "database normalization" because there are other disciplines that use the term "normalization" as well. (For example, "diplomatic normalization".)

For a general web search, start with sites in the .EDU domain. Look at a few articles to see if any of them "connect" with you. Some might be overly esoteric. Others will be easier. Find one you like as a starting point. However, once you begin to understand normalization better, the .COM domains are OK. It is just that many of them have something to sell you, which might be a distraction at first.

If you DO know about normalization and have chosen this path anyway, then we might need to know more about WHY you want to redirect your actions in the table based on a choice that won't always be stored in the same field/column .

Theo Papan

Local time
Your problem suggests to me that you need to study something called "database normalization" because you are treating the dataset like a spreadsheet. With Access, that is not always a correct viewpoint. Also, your choice of the term "column" is a subtle indicator of an Excel or other spreadsheet background, since in Access the correct term is "field." This is not a "knock" against you because we have seen folks "in transition" between Excel and Access do the same thing hundreds of times.

I'm not saying you can't do what you described, but what I understood of your problem suggests that you have value-oriented or value-related column names / field names - which is usually a sign of a denormalized database. You absolutely CAN have denormalized tables but they are highly inefficient. Before we help you build a database of questionable efficiency, perhaps we should direct you to learning about more efficient methods.

If you search this forum you can find some discussions of normalization. However, this is a database forum. If you search the general web you must search for "database normalization" because there are other disciplines that use the term "normalization" as well. (For example, "diplomatic normalization".)

For a general web search, start with sites in the .EDU domain. Look at a few articles to see if any of them "connect" with you. Some might be overly esoteric. Others will be easier. Find one you like as a starting point. However, once you begin to understand normalization better, the .COM domains are OK. It is just that many of them have something to sell you, which might be a distraction at first.

If you DO know about normalization and have chosen this path anyway, then we might need to know more about WHY you want to redirect your actions in the table based on a choice that won't always be stored in the same field/column .
I really appreciate your answer. I ll check on that. Im totally inexperienced with access.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@Theo Papan Please try the crosstab. It is a type of query that is quite useful for creating a matrix view for reporting. If you really want to create a table that stores the values the way you requested, that would almost certainly be wrong. So, see if the crosstab query produces something that you are looking for.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@Theo Papan You are very new here. While we always appreciate the thanks, that doesn't help anyone who finds this thread later. If you tried the crosstab and that solved your problem, please use your words No expert posts here for "likes" so don't feel obligated to "like" everything.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom