DTS Execution Plan (1 Viewer)

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:19
Hi,

I've got a DTS in SS2000 that is a package of packages, 34 in all, that are importing data from an ERM. The idea being i can run 1 package individually if needs be and automate the main package for transfer at night and only have 1 chron job to worry about.

The question is how many parallel packages should you run at one time - hope it's not how long is a piece of string :eek: - at the moment i've set it to run 4 - Does SS2000 create an execution plan for the packages to find the most efficiency i.e. which packages to run in which order? I have 140 tables in the ERM so this is just the first batch to deal with the sales figures.

Thanks

K.

pdx_man

Just trying to help
Local time
Today, 07:19
SQL Server will not order the packages to run in the most effecient manner. You will have to set this up.

As far as the number of packages you should run in parallel, that is something that you have to test. It is going to be different dependent on what you are doing, memory and the number of processors the server has.

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:19
pdx_man said:
SQL Server will not order the packages to run in the most effecient manner. You will have to set this up.

As far as the number of packages you should run in parallel, that is something that you have to test. It is going to be different dependent on what you are doing, memory and the number of processors the server has.

Hi,

Spent some time yesterday configuring the package. I've managed to get it running so that in total the 34 packages run only 2 mins slower than it takes the longest package to finish if run on it's own - 1.3 million rows and 116 fields :eek: - It now takes 25 mins which is down from + 1hr if i leave it too its own devices.

Cheers

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom