EAV Initial Model (1 Viewer)

Zydeceltico

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:34
Hi All -

I've attached my rough draft of where I believe this is going. I'm beginning to work on figuring out how to get data into and out of it. It's a struggle - especially the data entry aspect.

The most telling thing to look at I believe is the relationships window.

I have two junction tables in line with each other which has me scratching my head a bit.

Basically - -Jobs (specifically JobNumber/Task/Resource) drives and houses all details about a job. Inspection events will be the actual going to the floor and making an inspection- - - which can be of ANY type and may have any number of pieces of data recorded. This is reflected in the relationship of tblInspectionTypes, tblItems, tblInspectionTypeItems.

tblInspectionTypeItems is the many-to-many table that matches inspection types to various data items to be recorded.

Opening qryItemsByInspectionType will show exactly how that all matches up.

So far what I have just described functions like a multi-table lookup. I understand fairly well how to work with this specific area.

But the actual inspections are a function of tblInspectionTypeItems, tblInspectionEvents, and the junction table that joins them- tblInspectionEventDetails.

tblInspectionEvent records general inspection info (e.g, date, inspected by whom, machine operator, job number, etc.)

tblInspectionEventDetails is where I would lookup tblInspectionTypeItems to find the combination of type and item that is to have data collected on (e.g., assembly/length versus mill/length) and then pass or fail whatever type/item combination I have chosen to inspect.

So I have lookups based on lookups and I am using numeric IDs and FKs for all of them.

I have a ton of questions but the primary one right now is if I have a form based on tblInspectionEvent what is a constructive approach for having a way to choose type of inspection on that main form and somehow filter only the records in tblInspectionTypeItems that reflect the choice of type.

Basically from tblInspectionEvent, I want
1) a cbo to choose which type of inspection
2) record the numeric ID rather than the string
3) have that choice apply a filter that returns a datasheet subform that shows me all of the related records in tblInspectionTypeItems but only record the numeric ID values of the ones I choose to inspect.

I obviously haven't worked this out yet. It's starting to make my head spin a bit - - which is why I am now asking for your feedback before I dig myself a really deep hole!

Thanks as always!

Tim

Attachments

• QCDB - EAV Model.zip
    100.5 KB · Views: 184

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:34
Hi Tim

I took a quick look at your tables and your explanation indicates that you need Cascading Combobox's.

If you can fill in the InspectionTypeID's into the attached Excel sheet I will give you an example.

View attachment Items.zip

Zydeceltico

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Tim

I took a quick look at your tables and your explanation indicates that you need Cascading Combobox's.

If you can fill in the InspectionTypeID's into the attached Excel sheet I will give you an example.

View attachment 75414

Hi Mike,

I am really grateful for your offer and I’ll take you up on it but it will be a few days. Our IT department took my laptop for the weekend to update and upgrade over the weekend.

Thanks!

I saw your PM. I’ll respond to that also.

Zydeceltico

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Tim

View attachment 75414

Hi Mike -

I took a look at your Excel spreadsheet.

My table tblInspectionTypeItems is exactly what you are looking for. It is already in the db - unless of course I am misunderstanding you. Still don't have my laptop back from IT. Should be Monday.

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:34
Hi Tim

If you want to be able to select an Inspection Type and then Only see those Items Associated with the Type selected then you must first have a table structure like the attached example.

types.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom