Emailing from Access 2010 (1 Viewer)

Wedgels

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:06
What is the best way to email from Access? I have used many different systems but they all have some drawback.

I want a system that works with Outlook and Thunderbird, has the option for bringing up the email program screen incase a user wants to edit the email and also supports multiple attachments.

I have used vbSendmail - which is great but doesn't allow the user to use their own email address book in Outlook/Thunderbird. Also - it bypasses the users own email package so I don't get any entries in their sent items folder which is a great thing to have.

Using the normal Access built in acsendobject is great but doesn't support multiple image attachments (except through a report hack which, whilst clever, is hacky and doesn't work well in practice).

Any suggestions? But remember it has to support Thunderbird as well so any use of the Outlook object model won't work.

Thanks!

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 16:06
What is the best way to email from Access? I have used many different systems but they all have some drawback.

I want a system that works with Outlook and Thunderbird, has the option for bringing up the email program screen incase a user wants to edit the email and also supports multiple attachments.

I have used vbSendmail - which is great but doesn't allow the user to use their own email address book in Outlook/Thunderbird. Also - it bypasses the users own email package so I don't get any entries in their sent items folder which is a great thing to have.

Using the normal Access built in acsendobject is great but doesn't support multiple image attachments (except through a report hack which, whilst clever, is hacky and doesn't work well in practice).

Any suggestions? But remember it has to support Thunderbird as well so any use of the Outlook object model won't work.

Thanks!

AFAIK Thunderbird does not support Automation like Outlook. If use use Automation with MAPI then you can use Thunderbird. MAPI also will work with Outlook or any other MAPI compliant email client.

HiTechCoach

Local time
I also use vbSendMail. I basically have create my own Email client within Access for the database. It has the Address book and the sent items. I prefer not to have the all these "sent items" in an Email client since the attachment really bloats the email client's data store.

TIP: Send a BCC to yourself. Set up a rule in outlook to move the items to a "sent from database" folder.

Wedgels

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for that idea Boyd - the BCC tip is really quite neat.:)

HiTechCoach

Local time
You're welcome.

Let me know if you need any help with MAPI.

Wedgels

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks - but I think I'm going to stick with vbSendMail and do a similar thing to yourself and keep the address book in the app.

HiTechCoach

Local time
Sounds good to me.

Good luck with your project.

smig

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:06
I'm using vbSendMail too.
I find it real easy to use and real great :)

I'll post the email client I made in few days

HiTechCoach

Local time
I'm using vbSendMail too.
I find it real easy to use and real great :)

I'll post the email client I made in few days

That would be great. Looking forward to seeing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom