Encrypting SendObject (1 Viewer)

Adrianna

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:16
Okay....my database works in a decentralized fashion. I don't want to make the data accessible over the internet and unfortunately not all of your remote offices have access to our intranet, so....data from the remote lacations is transferred via SendObject, table, xls format.

Problem is that an e-mail can be intercepted, so the client has requested that I encrypt the data being sent, or while in the e-mail system.

Is there a way to do this?

dynamictiger

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:16
I don't know if this is helpful, however, I have been thinking about a system for some time.

Essentially take the data and hash it in a known way for example instead of A,B,C,D, translate to ASCII values and multiply by pi.

The receiving end divides by pi and reverses the ASCII value.

I think the other way would be to attach a password to the file along the same basis.

HTH

ritchieroo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:16
Encryption

Does your client have a preferred encryption method?

You can design your own encryption method (some sort of hash as suggested) fairly easily if you know what you're doing, but this won't be very secure.

If your client wants a high degree of security you may want to look at an industry standard approach, e.g. PGP.

It may be possible to create some sort of "remailer" a secure intranet address on your company's mail server, which encrypts mail and forwards it to the other company. This might be easy, or hard depending on the complexity of your situation.

Other standalone encryption products exist, but most involve saving the output as a file, encrypting it, and then attaching this encrypted file to an email... might prove tricky to automate.

My main advice is find out what level of encryption the client is happy with before worrying how your going to do it.

Adrianna

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:16
I was just going to use the encryption through Outlook, which will allow the users to certify and sign the SendObject, using our PKI system.

I guess possibly the better question would have been to ask if there is a command line that will allow me to select encryption in MS Outlook!

Or I guess I should just have the user manually select the PKI encryption......but that would require me to prevent Outlook from sending right away (I could stop this by allowing edits to the message).

Please let me know what you all think!

Thanks for the encoding input though....unfortunately we have to meet certain encryption criteria.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom