Enigma, Enya, Karunesh, Deep Forrest (1 Viewer)

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Today, 08:31
Please continue the List with your Favourite Newage Music Artists

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 12:01
Sia - LP - Alan Walker - Ed Shereen - Ava max -Alessia Cara - Adele - One Republic

I love them all. But I worship Michael Jackson. Though he's not newage

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:01
For me the current favorite group isn't necessarily "new age" but rather is more broad-based. The a capella group Pentatonix can make music in a way like most people have not heard before. Their web site is called PTXOfficial and you can get music from Broadway, holiday music, and some of their own original work, plus covers of several different genres of contemporary music.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
that's debatable.

With regard to Michael Jackson, he had his moral and personal health flaws; calling him a genius is debatable. It is possible to be a good singer without being a very good musician, and that describes MJ succinctly. He could not read music and when he played an instrument, it was by ear and by rote. He was a good singer and an excellent dancer. He CERTAINLY was a showman and did his best to give his audience a memorable performance every time.

HOWEVER, he was also shrewd and made excellent choices for many of his videos. When he put together the Thriller video, ...

* John Landis directed it. John Landis also directed An American Werewolf in London, Innocent Blood, The Blues Brothers, Animal House, ... a string of highly successful movies in several different genres

* Rick Baker was the monster-effects guy. He worked with Landis on the American Werewolf movie (which won an Academy Award for the creature makeup and prosthetics effects) but has done over 100 other movies as either or both a special-effects consultant and/or a monster-makeup consultant.

* Quincy Jones handled the orchestration. He had 80 Grammy award nominations and 28 Grammy awards over his 70-year+ career. That man knew how to manage orchestral and big-band horn sections. Take that statement from me. I've got NOTHING but praise for QJ's music.

* In a truly BRILLIANT bit of casting, he got Vincent Price to do the "monster rap." Vinnie had not even used studio headphones before but was able to do the recitation in only two takes.

MJ also hired some great effects guys for his feature-length video that contained "Smooth Criminal" and several other numbers. He managed to get a collaboration with George Harrison of the Beatles for several songs including "Say, Say, Say" and "Black and White."

A friend of mine was related to one of the extras in the Thriller "zombie dance" sequence. The story I heard was that the other dancers almost hated MJ because the choreographer would show him the dance sequence once and he had it down immediately. By the time the others had the basic moves right, MJ was already improvising extra moves.

Was MJ a genius? I don't know. But did he know how to find excellent supporting talent to create a huge spectacle? That's a "Roger, affirmatory" on that one for sure!

LGDGlen

Local time
Today, 04:01
Clannad
Cocteau Twins
Portishead
Massive Attack (maybe)

unless this thread is being taken over by ironicness saying MJ is new age.......... then i'm lost

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 12:01
People tend to mix personal behavior with talent. Any time there's a conversation about an artist, a singer or an actor, there's a long debate on his/her personal life and nobody cares it's a talk about one's career not his/her humanity.
I'm not a judge nor a jury, and I don't know if MJ was guilty or not. And when I listen to his music or watch his dance, I don't care if he was or wasn't. No body can deny him as a talented artist or a genius and his personal life was his. Each one of us has a weird face that try to hide.

Last edited:

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:01
For me the current favorite group isn't necessarily "new age" but rather is more broad-based. The a capella group Pentatonix can make music in a way like most people have not heard before. Their web site is called PTXOfficial and you can get music from Broadway, holiday music, and some of their own original work, plus covers of several different genres of contemporary music.
One of the original members of the group, Avi Kaplan went to high school where I live now. His parents attended the church I go to. The greatest compliment I got about my singing was when Avi's mother said she like my singing (of course we both know I am not in the same category as Avi).

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Very few bass singers ARE in the same category as Avi Kaplan.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 20:01
People tend to mix personal behavior with talent. Any time there's a conversation about an artist, a singer or an actor, there's a long debate on his/her personal life and nobody cares it's a talk about one's career not his/her humanity.
I'm not a judge nor a jury, and I don't know if MJ was guilty or not. And when I listen to his music or watch his dance, I don't care if he was or wasn't. No body can deny him as a talented artist or a genius and his personal life was his. Each one of us has a weird face that try to hide.
This makes me think of how I feel about Christian (or I guess any religion) leaders/pastors etc., whose reputation gets bogged down because of some naughty thing they did.

To me, in an effort to force myself to be strictly intellectually honest, I can't and shouldn't dismiss the entire lifetime's worth of good works or truth taught for any particular person, just because at some point they .... committed adultery, had a drug problem, etc. etc.

Not that it doesn't matter, but everyone has issues and does wrong. It's important to remember that the fact that a pastor succumbed to temptation at some point very often has little to nothing to do with the right or wrong of his previous (or even future) teachings, helpful works, etc.

My own pastor from when I grew up (birth to age 16 I went there 2-3x/week), I consider him to be the #2 formative impact on my life as far as foundational beliefs go, second only to my father. And many considered him as such, too. Shortly after I grew up and moved away, he confessed to having an affair with someone.

Of course, it is right and well that certain consequences may follow. But to me, his helpfulness to my life did not change whatsoever, not even a little bit. I just realized he was human!

And in fact he went on to have continued later success, his marriage was miraculously saved, and many good things followed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom