Excel Acting Wierd............. (1 Viewer)

AC5FF

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:24
Just curious if anyone else has ever experienced this problem with Excel (running Excel 2000)............

Occasionally, when I am highlighting a group of cells, and attempting to scroll at the same time, Excell 'locks' up in what I can only think to call 'selection' mode. I.E. everywhere I move my mouse, even w/no buttons pressed, it acts as if I am still pressing my mouse button. I should also add that it's with different spreadsheets that this is happening too; not just a single spreadsheet...

The only way I can get out of that is to shut it down through task manager.

If this were to only happen once or twice, then I would think it was a fluke, but it happens on a daily basis any more. I also considered this possibly was a mouse problem; dirty switch/etc; but swapping the mouse out didn't change anything - not to mention when the task manager window was open the mouse worked fine in that window (Although Excel was still in 'select').

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 14:24
I've had that happen before and, for me, it affects more than Excel. I have this feeling that there is a keystroke combination which can turn this on, but I've never found out what it is. I have usually had to reboot my computer when it happens.

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
I have come accross that too! It is so annoying!

Demetious

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:24
I had this happen to me with a different program and found out what the culprit was, there is a program on most computers that you can map keys for accessibility. I was accidentally hitting the combination of a letter and my mouse click while not in an active window or something to that effect. You might want to check your control panel to see if you have anything like this, I think mine was a wheelchair icon or something, sticky keys maybe? Good luck.

AC5FF

Registered User.
Local time
Thx for the tips...
Bob - I seem to be able to get out of this if I get into the task mgr with CTRL/ALT/DEL
or I can also get out by taking my mouse to the task bar and right clicking on the Excel button and closing it there. I have never had to resort to a complete restart - thankfully!

Demetious - I don't think it's a keystroke combination... It's happened to me without touching the keyboard. Just scrolling while selecting ... wierd ...

I was wondering if anyone has tried a uninstall/reinstall of Excel to get around this problem? That's what I was considering for my next troubleshooting stage anyway. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom