Execute a query in Local machine into an online MySQL DB (1 Viewer)

RickHunter84

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:05
Dear friends,

I hope everyone is well.

Thinking out loud here. I was wondering if its possible to execute a local command with VBA to query an external MySQL DB in the internet, for example: MySQL is hosting user names, and this command will go into the MySQL database and check if the user exist and returns true/false.

*This is just an example, I know this can be done locally checking user names.

I'm leaning towards more using this external online DB to check if a program subscription is still valid or expired, therefore stopping the usage of the local application. Keeping in mind the machine needs to have internet connection and account for that when internet is not available.

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you as always.

Best regards,
Rick

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 16:05
Hi Rick. As long as you can connect to the external database, you can run a local query against it.

RickHunter84

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Rick. As long as you can connect to the external database, you can run a local query against it.
Thank you! do you know of any examples? any place I could look?

Thanks again!

Rick

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The database has to be "published" so that Access can connect to it. Then instead of using a drive and path, use a URL in your linked tables dialog. This connection will not be fast. In fact, it will be like watching paint dry but you can do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom