executing MSSQL-scripts from Access (1 Viewer)

Zakraket

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:46
I'm building an Accessclient which works on a SQL-backend (2008r2).

I'm working on a VBA-module that updates the backend in steps, so that it's easy to deploy from DEVELOP to TEST, to PRODUCTION: the client will update the backend with the necessary changes (when possible if changes not too complex)

It's not that difficult, I open a ADODB-connection to the right database and then f.e.

Code:
conn.execute "AlTER TABLE dbo.TBLUSER ADD SHORT nvarchar(3)"

However, I doing the major work of building tables on SQL-server directly. I'm looking for a way to execute scripts generated by SQL-server from then access-client.

So I thought I would create a table tblScripts in the client that holds all scripts needed to do the proper changes on the backend.

F.e. a SQL-script to create a new table with constraints, foreignkeys etc. So, when I make a change on the developdatabase, I save the SQLscript executed by SQL-server to a file, then put that script in the table and then:

Code:
strSQL = dlookup("script", "tblScripts", "[id]=1")
conn.execute strSQL
However, the exact script that is returned by the Dlookup won't run from Access, but when I paste the Dlookup-output from Access in SQL-server in a new Query it runs fine.
The error returned is "incorrect syntax near GO"

The script:
Code:
/****** Object:  Table [dbo].[TBLBRIDGEPART_META]    Script Date: 02/26/2015 11:57:25 ******/
SET ANSI_NULLS ON
GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[TBLBRIDGEPART_META](
    [BRIDGEPART_META_ID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,
    [BRIDGEPART_ID] [int] NULL,
    [META_TYPE] [nvarchar](255) NULL,
    [META_TAG] [nvarchar](50) NULL,
    [META_VALUE] [numeric](18, 3) NULL,
    [ENTEREDON] [datetime] NOT NULL,
    [ENTEREDBY] [nvarchar](255) NULL,
    [UPDATEDBY] [nvarchar](255) NULL,
    [UPDATEDON] [datetime] NULL,
    [DELETED] [bit] NULL,
 CONSTRAINT [PK_TBLBRIDGEPART_META] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED 
(
    [BRIDGEPART_META_ID] ASC
)WITH (PAD_INDEX  = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE  = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS  = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS  = ON) ON [PRIMARY]
) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[TBLBRIDGEPART_META]  WITH CHECK ADD  CONSTRAINT [FK_TBLBRIDGEPART_META_TBLBRIDGEPARTS] FOREIGN KEY([BRIDGEPART_ID])
REFERENCES [dbo].[TBLBRIDGEPARTS] ([BRIDGEPART_ID])
ON DELETE CASCADE
GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[TBLBRIDGEPART_META] CHECK CONSTRAINT [FK_TBLBRIDGEPART_META_TBLBRIDGEPARTS]
GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[TBLBRIDGEPART_META] ADD  CONSTRAINT [DF_TBLBRIDGEPART_META_ENTEREDON]  DEFAULT (getdate()) FOR [ENTEREDON]
GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[TBLBRIDGEPART_META] ADD  CONSTRAINT [DF_TBLBRIDGEPART_META_DELETED]  DEFAULT ((0)) FOR [DELETED]
GO

When I paste this in a query in SQL-server it runs fine

Last edited:

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
You need to break it up - access does one statement in one go

Zakraket

Registered User.
Local time
You need to break it up - access does one statement in one go

Tnx. I need to break it up for every line?

Like:

Code:
- SET ANSI_NULLS ON
Code:
- GO
Code:
- SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
Code:
- GO
Code:
- CREATE TABLE [dbo].[TBLBRIDGEPART_META](
    [BRIDGEPART_META_ID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,
    [BRIDGEPART_ID] [int] NULL,
    [META_TYPE] [nvarchar](255) NULL,
    [META_TAG] [nvarchar](50) NULL,
    [META_VALUE] [numeric](18, 3) NULL,
    [ENTEREDON] [datetime] NOT NULL,
    [ENTEREDBY] [nvarchar](255) NULL,
    [UPDATEDBY] [nvarchar](255) NULL,
    [UPDATEDON] [datetime] NULL,
    [DELETED] [bit] NULL,
 CONSTRAINT [PK_TBLBRIDGEPART_META] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED 
(
    [BRIDGEPART_META_ID] ASC
)WITH (PAD_INDEX  = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE  = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS  = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS  = ON) ON [PRIMARY]
) ON [PRIMARY]
Code:
- GO
etc

Lot of work (for large scripts). Maybe I can cut it up with VBA automatically and put it in records.

I'll test a bit with this coming week, tnx

edit: hmm...probably I don't need to use the GO if I run every line seperatly (not a SQL-expert ;) ). Maybe I can use the GO to cut up scripts automatically.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
I'm no expert, but if you send a separate GO the poor thing will just get confused. I reckon you need to feed it executable statements one at a time to an .Execute command. The one with constrains I have no idea. Try the few relevant permutations. If that fails, there is an AWF VIP here totally into this kind of stuff so try PM him: stopher

Last edited:

Zakraket

Registered User.
Local time
It works, I can put the whole "create table"-section in an execute (have to remove the newlines though) and the table is created.
After that I can execute the constraints seperatly

Means a bit of work on the scripts though (and this is just a simple one). I could perhaps automatically remove the newlines (with REPLACE) and use the "GO" to cut up the seperate commands (maybe using the SPLIT(x, "GO" function or something like that).

kentgorrell

Local time
Today, 18:46
When I create a table in SS from VBA, I create the table with just the PK
Code:
strSQL = "CREATE TABLE dbo." & strTableName _
                        & " (" & strFieldName _
                        & " INT IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL" & vbNewLine _
                        & " CONSTRAINT " & strConstraintName _
                        & " PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED)"
cnn.Execute strSQL

then create the columns and then apply the constraints one at a time.

This simplified approach makes troubleshooting easy.

the only exception is for Bit (or other columns with Not Null and a Default) where I always apply the default and the Not Null when I create the column. Note the " WITH VALUES" to populate existing records with the default

Code:
strSQL = "ALTER TABLE " & strTableName & vbNewLine _
                           & " ALTER COLUMN [" & strFieldName & "]" & vbNewLine  _
                           & " Bit NOT NULL" _
                           & " CONSTRAINT " & strConstraintName & " DEFAULT " & strDefault & " WITH VALUES"

As you can probably tell, I have a table of tables and a table of columns in the FE and run this schema update process first against Dev data, then test data before it moves onto production. This makes the SDLC thoroughly reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom