file hyperlink in form (1 Viewer)

tb5038

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:53
Hi

This is my first post on access programmers, im a novice with vb thou!

Im developing a database for work, I would like to provide a link on a form to run an external program. The form is call frmProfile. The table is called tblProfile and the hyperlink field is called link.

I would like a diaglog box to appear where the user can browse for the file and select it. Ive found various scripts but with my vb skills being very basic its no wonder im getting no joy. If you need more info to help me please ask away!

I should add... each record has its own associated file. Its cctv footage which runs from the cctv systems own proprietary software. So its an individual filefor each record not just a program. Hope that helps!

Thanks

Last edited:

tfurnivall

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:53
Hi tb5038,

You're providing some confusing information here. Let me see if I can show you where the confusion arises, and then ask you some questions. I hope that the two steps will help you ask a more instructive question - for what sounds like a fascinating application!

You say:
I would like to provide a link on a form to run an external program. The form is call frmProfile. The table is called tblProfile and the hyperlink field is called link.
I don't think the table name is relevant (yet), and you don't indicate if the target program is the same program each time (arguably the case if all the data is CCTV footage), or a different program. That's important to know.

You say:
Code:
I would like a dia[g]log box to appear where the user can browse for the file and select it.
Is the 'file' to which you refer the same as the program you were just looking for, or is it a file that has a separate existence from whatever is in the database? This is important to know because you also say
Code:
each record has its own associated file. ...So its an individual file for each record not just a program.
You indicate that it's all data off a proprietary CCTV system, which implies that all the files are the same format (like all Word documents are .docx, or all Excel spreadsheets are .xlsx), and this would generally mean that all the files would use the same program. If this is the case, then your problem becomes "find a suitable data file and activate the magic program on that file".

However, your assertion that
Code:
each record has its own associated file
implies that you shouldn't need to do a FileDialog, because the table will already have the filename.

I hope you understand my confusion - I'm sure that any clarification you can offer will lead to wiser people than I chiming in to help you!

HTH

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom