Solved .Filter Recordset "No Current Record" Error / UpSerting in VBA (1 Viewer)

raziel3

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:15
Another approach to saving this aggregate data is to just save the aggregate calc and identifier to a different table that can join to primary table.
You mean just use the 'Make Table' action query?

table can be permanent and all or some records would be deleted and replaced
Isn't that what my code is doing? Can you explain a little more please.

Can I change the title to include "UPSERTING using VBA". Is that ok with the admins?

Last edited:

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
You can do two make table queries even if the data is not updateable.
Do a make table from items. You can do that in the current database or as @moke123 in a side database. The benefit of the side database you do not have to account for bloating of the current database..
Now you do not update tblItems since you can quickly link to the temp table.

If you do it in the local database then you might not want to constantly add and delete or you will bloat the database. You would have to update the temptable. Now you added a level of complexity. The side database is nice because you save the temptable, but "blow it away" when done. No concern about bloat.

To see this done

But bottom line do not store this calculated value in the main data table. Store it in another table.

Last edited:

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
If interested in going the Temp database route, This contains the procedures I use. Note that I use empty Template Tables in the main database to create the temp tables in the temp database.

Attachments

• TempDBDemo.accdb
    504 KB · Views: 77

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 00:15
Your code is not deleting records or table so my suggestion is something different.

If forum allows you to edit thread title, go ahead.

raziel3

Registered User.
Local time
Just to be clear.

tblITEMS is not related to anything in my db. I did use a 'Make Table' query initially to create it from the Items query only because I was unable to do a Crosstab Query and now that it was created I decided to keep pushing data into it yearly. So query Items group by year and I fill tblITEMS with the new results. The only use of tblTEMS is to provide a source for my Crosstab Report.

Does that still mean I should keep that table external?

raziel3

Registered User.
Local time
@MajP I notice that you created a whole new recordset instead of using .Filter method. Any reason why?

MajP

Local time
As per MS.
In many cases, it's faster to open a new Recordset object by using an SQL statement that includes a WHERE clause.
Not a big deal here, but out of habit I avoid applying the filter to the RS. IMO the code is a little cleaner without it.

MajP

Local time
Does that still mean I should keep that table external?
You do not have to. What is nice about that is you do not have to worry about bloat caused by repeated adding and deleting. But you only have to worry about repeated adding and deleting if you are not doing what you already are doing. You are not deleting. You add once then update. However, that code is a little more complicated. In some cases it could be real complicated depending on what has to be updated.
Instead og adding the new records and updating the existing records like you are doing, it can be simpler to delete the existing table and make a brand new table with a make query. Or you could delete all the records and import all the records. No need for an update in either case. This however, will bloat your db. If doing this method you can then do a compact and repair or do the "side-database". However since you have done the work to do the update and add, you are not bloating the db. You would not gain anything by pushing this into a seperate db, unless you want to choose one of the other methods of doing this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom