Question Finding out why application crashes (1 Viewer)

mcdhappy80

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:57
Is there a way to see why access 2007 application crashes after certain period of working time? How to see if there is maybe memory leaking or something that can cause this?
One thing a can say, when I made my application to be more complex this started to happen, when it was simple and on other simple apps this doesn't happen.
Thank You

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 00:57
Is there a way to see why access 2007 application crashes after certain period of working time? How to see if there is maybe memory leaking or something that can cause this?
One thing a can say, when I made my application to be more complex this started to happen, when it was simple and on other simple apps this doesn't happen.
Thank You

First is the database split. If not, I would do it ASAP.

Why you should split your database

Assuming that you have split your database:

Here are some steps I take to fix database corruption in the front end:

1) /decompile the VBA code. Create a new .accde

If still having issues

2) Create a new blank .accdb. Import all the objects from the old front end. Set any required references. Create a new .accde

mcdhappy80

Registered User.
Local time
First is the database split. If not, I would do it ASAP.

Why you should split your database

Assuming that you have split your database:

Here are some steps I take to fix database corruption in the front end:

1) /decompile the VBA code. Create a new .accde

If still having issues

2) Create a new blank .accdb. Import all the objects from the old front end. Set any required references. Create a new .accde

Thank You for Your suggestions, but I think that the problem may be in some record set that is not closed, because on several forms I have many form events (with record set loops) and it is possible that one or more of them are not properly closed.

So, because it would be very time consuming to review each form, report event, I was wondering is there a piece of code (or some other mechanism) to measure the memory usage after opening specific forms, reports.
I was thinking, if the memory usage goes up after opening specific form or report and doesn't drop down after closing it, I could find out where the problem could be, because my database is fairly large and complex.

Or maybe I was wrong to think this?

Are there any advanced debug techniques that can be used in Access 2007?

Thank You

Guus2005

AWF VIP
Local time
Yes, there is a very sophisticated tool which you can start if you press control-shift-escape simultaneously. Yes, it is the taskmanager...

But i'd try HiTechCoach suggestions first before trying something that doesn't work.

It is possible that you have a record in your table which causes the application to crash which even compact and repair doesn't solve. In that case, try suggestion #2.

If that still doesn't work you have to pinpoint the table and exact record and copy everything else to the new database.

Recordsets are closed implicitly when you exit the procedure/function which creates them.

You should backup the original database.

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom