Form Capbilities, Is this possible, or just wishful thinking? (1 Viewer)

KAllen31

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:35
I have finally finished my final table design, and am thrilled that my 40 Fields (all related!!) are now down to 7!! Thank you to everyone who helped me figure out that my tables do not have to be the size of the Nile River to capture all necessary info.

My next task is to develop a form for users to enter data into. The purpose of this form is to track stmts/docs we recieve from our customers on a monthly basis.

What I plan on doing is using a subform that will house all of the stmts/docs that our customer is required to send us. I will apply a filter to these docs to help limit and organize this info. (Thanks Pat!!)

Now comes the tricky part (I think), what I would like to have is when a user needs to add a new entry, some of the fields automatically read what was entered previously for that particular doc/stmt.

For instance, we may have a customer who is required to send us projections on a monthly basis. The fields that will be offered to them is:

Statement Name
Last Statement
Frequency
Grace Period
Next Statment
Statement Required by

Now lets say that the user puts in the info re projections for month one (it is also the first entry for projections for this customer into the system). Obviously since this is the first record of this stmt type the user will have to put in all of the info.

When month two rolls around the corner and the user has to add a new record for the stmt (projections)& particular month. I would like the frequency, and grace period to automatically appear on the new entry (this info remains consistant around 98% of the time)

Does anyone know if this is possible, or just wishful thinking??

Thanks

[This message has been edited by KAllen31 (edited 08-09-2001).]

KeaganQuilty

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:05
If these fields need not be unique to each projection, then I would suggest that you store them only once in your primary table.

KAllen31

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for replying

If I do that, and the user needs to change the fields (there is a remote possibility), can it be done?

Angello Pimental

Registered User.
Local time
What you want to do is very possible. And should not be too difficult for you to accomplish.

All your information only needs to be stored once, like Keagan suggested, in your main form.

To have certain information for a particular customer automatically appear you would do something like this:

Create a combobox which stores the name of your customer, this will be used to easily add a new entry for the customer, and be used to automatically bring up the information you wish.

I would you the combobox wizard to create your combobox. When given the selection of where you want the combobox to get its values you want to choose "Find a Record on my form based....". Then choose the field where the customers name is stored, plus the customer ID # if you have one, and the frequency and grace period fields. Make sure that you have the customer name as the field that uniquely identifies the row.

Next, set the following properties for the combobox:
columncount: However many columns you have
columnwidths: 1",0",0"....for as many columns as you have

Then in the after_update properties put the following code:

Me!frequencyfield = Me.customercombo.Column(1)
Me!gracefield = Me.customercombo.Column(2)
Me.refresh

Where the number in the brackets is the column that the particalar field is located in the combobox -1.

I believe that will solve your problem about automatically having fields filled in. Now you just have to include everthing else.

HTH

Angelo

KAllen31

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks to Both of You!!

I will give it a go tonight..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom