Form Control Referencing in VBA (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 16:56
I have seen quite a few questions about referencing form controls in VBA, and I'll be the first to admit that it makes absolutely no sense. However, there are general rules you can follow that will make life a whole lot easier when dealing with this issue. Here is a list of the different syntax blocks I have used, and the data types that they are compatible with:

Direct Outside Reference (syntax inside quotation marks)
Code:
"... = Forms!FormName!ControlName"
Compatible Data Types: Text, Number, Date/Time, Currency, Boolean, Hyperlink
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Direct Inside Reference (syntax inside quotation marks)
Code:
"... = Me!ControlName"
Compatible Data Types: NONE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indirect Outside Reference (syntax outside quotation marks)
Code:
"... = " & Forms!FormName!ControlName
Compatible Data Types: Number, Currency, Boolean

Indirect Inside Reference (syntax outside quotation marks)
Code:
"... = " & Me!ControlName

Indirect Inside Reference (syntax outside quotation marks)
Code:
"... = " & Me.ControlName

Direct Outside String Reference (syntax concatenated inside quotation marks)
Code:
"... = '" & Forms!FormName!ControlName & "'"
Compatible Data Types: Text

Direct Inside String Reference (syntax concatenated inside quotation marks)
Code:
"... = '" & Me.ControlName & "'"
Compatible Data Types: Text

The above syntax lines were tested using Access 2007. It is quite likely that the compatibility for each syntax block will change with different versions of the program (I can almost guarantee this). There is nothing we can do about that, but hopefully this helps you figure out what works and what doesn't with your specific version.

In the attached sample, the data types of the combo boxes are valid references for the syntax used if the listbox populates the value. If there is no listbox value or a parameter popup appears, it is invalid. The bottom line here is: Reference syntax depends entirely on what data type is contained within the control.

I hope this thread has helped simplify this (unnecessarily) complicated issue! :)

Attachments

• Form Referencing in VBA.zip
    47.5 KB · Views: 3,292
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom