Solved Form-specific codes in reusable class modules (1 Viewer)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:08
DISCLAIMER: I have never ever coded a save button because that is the default action. I find no utility to have a button to do something that is actually pretty hard to stop from occurring automatically. Maybe a cancel button, but never a save. But 99% of the time I simply let execution flow and validate data in the beforeupdate and cancel if necessary.

I agree 100%

I think the reason newbies get so wrapped up in this process is because they don't know enough to validate data to ensure that bad data doesn't get saved.

If a client insists (the client is always right about most aspects of the interface), I do implement save buttons but the process always insists that the save button be pressed and it involves using variables and checking in the Form's BeforeUpdate event to ensure the button was clicked. This process can be locked down but requires a variable and code in at least 4 events plus error trapping. It isn't technically necessary but if the client wants me to spend the extra time, it's fine. I just bill for it as long as it isn't illegal or immoral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom