Forms, base tables (record sources), and usability (1 Viewer)

cabusmichael

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:29
Hello,
I have a question relating to creating forms, the relationship between forms and underlying tables (record sources).

I'm making a database that tracks grants administration for an environmental protection agency (my friends works there--I'm not that impressive :) ). A major rationale for creating the database is it could be used as a way to track the grant administration process, and which persons are associated with a given grant.

So, I have a relationship like:

[Grant] (1) --- (N) [Administers](N) ---- (1) [Grant administrator] -- [Types of grant administrators, like Project advisers, department employees, etc.].

I want to create a form that one can input a new grant, and indicate who administers the grant (the "department employee" is really being used to track the last department employee who updated information about the grant, for accountability). My question is, how should I go about this? Should I create a form based on the "junction table" (administers), and then a form based on "grant administrator"? This would seem slightly redundant, and the user would have already put the GrantID in the main form...but, from what I understand, there should be a field that links the main form to the subform...

I may be a bit confused...sorry if this is confusing;

Many thanks for your time,

Michael

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 08:29
in my opinion, a typical form/subform setup should be formed from a partnership that was already formed between the relationship of two tables to begin with. if you do it this way, links will appear between form and sub automatically (otherwise, access wouldn't be able to read it).

if u have the tables related correctly, create an autoform from the main table and see what you get. what you'll see is a form appear that will have an automatic sub embedded inside of it due to the relationship that was already formed between the autoform's source and it's child source.

so in general, YES, mains with subs are usually linked by a field, most of the time automatic from the relationships that are already present.

cabusmichael

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:29
Hello,
Thanks for the response. After some experimenting, I find I need to simply find a good resource on forms--the books I have are not that helpful (one from Microsoft Publishing). Any questions I would ask now would not be very productive, until I know a bit more.

But, your reply has helped me understand a bit more about the nature of forms--so, thanks again,

Michael

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 08:29
Hello,
Thanks for the response. After some experimenting, I find I need to simply find a good resource on forms--the books I have are not that helpful (one from Microsoft Publishing). Any questions I would ask now would not be very productive, until I know a bit more.

But, your reply has helped me understand a bit more about the nature of forms--so, thanks again,

Michael
no problem. and if you want some more advice, stay away from microsoft articles, except the KBs. they're actually useful...some of them. :) good luck to ya

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom