General help with quieries (1 Viewer)

Hayley Baxter

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:14
I am currently running many reports based on quieries. I have a db that stores suppliers contracts and for each of these contracts there is a field called Contract type ie software licence, software maintenance, hardware etc. I have been creating lots of quieries to run reports on all the contracts with software licence, maintenance...these contracts could be many different types and I wondered if there was another way to narrow this down.

Instead of me having to create one query for software licence then put criteria = "soft licence" is there a way I can say = contract type and have access look it up because eventually all these quieries are going to mount up taking up memory.

Thanks in advance
Hayley

DougS

Local time
create a parameter query instead, and set criterea for Contract type to make you type something in = [Select Contract Type].
Only 1 query is needed.

adz2013

Registered User.
Local time
Setting up a parameter is a great idea it will narrow down the number of queries in the database.

Hayley Baxter

Registered User.
Local time
That's sounds like I could have saved myself alot of work. If I do this is there ways to set up my own dialoug box and not the one that access automatically will bring up and can I still make it user friendly ie if no matches found for what is typed then inform the user and retry?

Thanks

David R

I know a few things...
Local time
Yesterday, 18:14
Hayley,
use a popup form and tie that to opening your report in the proper way. If you search the archives this has been covered extensively.

HTH,
David R

Hayley Baxter

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks David I am looking into this. I have also noticed that the dialoug prompt box anything you type in here is case sensitive and if you type one letter wrong ie spelling error or miss out a letter the results are not displayed so I need to find a way round this maybe with performing a check on what is typed then an error msg then a cmd button to retry or something.

Thanks again

R

Rich

Why not have a combo box that extracts the unique Contract types and use that for the criteria, users will be prevented from entering the wrong data as the criteria.
HTH

Hayley Baxter

Registered User.
Local time
Rich I like your idea but how would I implement this. I have created a form that lists all my reports and they are preview buttons because I am not good with option boxes just yet. The user selects the cmd button to preview the report then up pops the dialoug box Foms!etc etc Even just a nice msg for them stating

"Please enter the value"

Values must be betwwen 1 and 9 etc so that they kno prior to entering. I am still looking up pop up forms so I may be able to work this out myself but haven't had much time to have a look, any tips while I am waiting would be great though.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom