Solved Generate report from form and subforms (1 Viewer)

Emma35

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:27
Hi Everyone,
I've got a main form (frm_AddEdit), a related subform (frm_subCalRecords) and a second subform (frm_subStds)
The main form is related to both subforms using the PK field 'EquipID'
I want to put a 'Print' command button on the main form which will print the contents of that main form and also the contents of the subforms which are showing at the time. The subforms have many records but the print button always only prints the first one which isn't what i need. The table structure is attached.

I know my normalization isn't exactly spot on but each piece of equipment can have many calibration records and the 'Standards' table relates to the equipment and not the calibration records. Hope i've explained it ok ? I've tried the following code but get a data mismatch error

Code:
DoCmd.OpenReport "rpt_PrintRecord", acViewPreview, WhereCondition:="[EquipID]=" & Me.frmsub_CalRecords.Form.CalibrationID

Thanks guys,
Em

Attachments

• Tables.PNG
    Tables.PNG
    14.1 KB · Views: 373

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 21:27
create appropriate Report/Sub Reports and use this to print.

DoCmd.OpenReport "rpt_PrintRecord", acViewPreview, WhereCondition:="[EquipID]=" & Me!EquipID

Note:
subreports should have Master/Child Link fields [EquipID].

Last edited:

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 09:27
Code:
DoCmd.OpenReport "rpt_PrintRecord", acViewPreview, , "[EquipID]=" & Me.frmsub_CalRecords.Form.CalibrationID

Emma35

Registered User.
Local time
create appropriate Report/Sub Reports and use this to print.

DoCmd.OpenReport "rpt_PrintRecord", acViewPreview, WhereCondition:="[EquipID]=" & Me!EquipID

Note:
subreports should have Master/Child Link fields [EquipID].
Arnel.....i've added the code and when the button is activated i get a pop-up message with the EquipID value at the top (attached). If i enter that value into the parameter box then the report opens fine

Attachments

• Error.PNG
    Error.PNG
    2.2 KB · Views: 376

Emma35

Registered User.
Local time
Code:
DoCmd.OpenReport "rpt_PrintRecord", acViewPreview, , "[EquipID]=" & Me.frmsub_CalRecords.Form.CalibrationID
Ranman....i get a data mismatch error on clicking the button

arnelgp

Local time
EquipID is string?

DoCmd.OpenReport "rpt_PrintRecord", acViewPreview, WhereCondition:="[EquipID]='" & Me!EquipID & "'"

Mike Krailo

Local time
I know unrelated to your question but what exactly is the Standards table for? It just has a Manufacture attribute in it which is already imbedded in the EquipID so it makes no sense at all to me what that table is for.

Emma35

Registered User.
Local time
EquipID is string?

DoCmd.OpenReport "rpt_PrintRecord", acViewPreview, WhereCondition:="[EquipID]='" & Me!EquipID & "'"
Yes i'm sorry....EquipID is always a letter followed by digits.
The report is opening up ok now but the subreport displays all the records and not the one i'm viewing. For example....i might need to print off the subreport record from a year ago and so i need that one to appear on it's own

Emma35

Registered User.
Local time
I know unrelated to your question but what exactly is the Standards table for? It just has a Manufacture attribute in it which is already imbedded in the EquipID so it makes no sense at all to me what that table is for.
Mike.....the screenshot doesn't show all the fields in the Standards table. Each piece of equipment has a manufacturer but each standard also has a manufacturer. Each piece of equipment also uses a certain standard. The Standards are also completely unrelated to the Calibration records. Confused ??....so am i :)

arnelgp

Local time
the subreports must have a Master/Child Link Fields.

goto design view of your Main report, click on the subreport and on it's property
add the Master/Child link fields, which is the EquipID

Mike Krailo

Local time
I see, then you should name that second Manufacture differently, like Manufacture2 or SManufacture for clarity. Then also the data for "Certain Standard" is still unclear (I know unrelated to your question). It seems like a many to many relationship exists between Equipment and Standards. If that is the case, then there should be a junction table that joins them together.

The reason I'm asking all this, is to save you the frustration of trying to create forms and reports when you haven't sorted out your tables yet. Much better to get your tables nailed down solid first and then design your forms and reports.

Emma35

Registered User.
Local time
the subreports must have a Master/Child Link Fields.

goto design view of your Main report, click on the subreport and on it's property
add the Master/Child link fields, which is the EquipID
I checked both subreports and the master/child link fields are set to EquipID
Each piece of equipment may have several calibration records in the subreport and these are what's printing. So for example say that a particular piece of equipment has 10 calibration records, these are what's printing but i just want the one which is selected on the screen at the time

arnelgp

Local time
on your "calibration" subform's current event add code:

private sub form_current()
[tempvars]![tvarCalibID] = Nz(Me!CalibrationID, 0)
end sub

back to your report, on the calibration subReport, add to Master/Child Link fields:

EquipID, [Tempvars]![tvarCalibID]

Emma35

Registered User.
Local time
on your "calibration" subform's current event add code:

[tempvars]![tvarCalibID] = Nz(Me!CalibrationID, 0)
end sub

back to your report, on the calibration subReport, add to Master/Child Link fields:

EquipID, [Tempvars]![tvarCalibID]
Thanks Arnel.....there was already some code in the OnCurrent event of that subform so i just added that code as a new line. Is that ok ?
I added the other code to the Calibration subreport properties (attached)......is that what you meant ?
When i click the print button now i'm still getting all the calibration records for that equipment

Attachments

• Code.PNG
    Code.PNG
    3.3 KB · Views: 374

arnelgp

Local time
on the Link Child field, instead of the Tempvars!tvarCalibID, change it to [CalibrationID].

Emma35

Registered User.
Local time
I've changed it and the calibration subreport is blank. I've attached the change so you can see if i did it right

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.9 KB · Views: 383

arnelgp

Local time
almost, change their position the Master becomes the Child and vice versa.
ohh, no, i am the one who is mixed up:

try:

Master Link Fields: [EquipID];[Tempvars]![tvarCalibID]
Child Link Fields: [EquipID]; [CalibrationID]

you make sure on the current event of yourr sub, you create the tempvar:

[Tempvars]![tvarCalibID] = Me!CalibrationID
'other codes here
end sub

Last edited:

Emma35

Registered User.
Local time
almost, change their position the Master becomes the Child and vice versa.
ohh, no, i am the one who is mixed up:

try:

Master Link Fields: [EquipID];[Tempvars]![tvarCalibID]
Child Link Fields: [EquipID]; [CalibrationID]

you make sure on the current event of yourr sub, you create the tempvar:

[Tempvars]![tvarCalibID] = Me!CalibrationID
'other codes here
end sub
Wow....working perfectly. You are a genius Mr Arnel....thank you very much. Also, thanks to everyone who took the time to make a suggestion. Much appreciated

Em x

arnelgp

Local time

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom