Google Cloud Services (1 Viewer)

156sting

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:26
hey guys, after some information, currently i am running a db in 2 parts, both in access, a backend and a front end.. obviously backend holds all the data, and the tables are linked into the front end. i been looking at having the backed converted to an SQL server and use a service like Google SQL to host the backend data and have the tables linked into the front end via ODBC connection. the backend is not very big, its approximately 50mb in size and holds a few thousand records, it is used by 4 people during the working day, the main use for having the backend converted and hosted in the cloud is to enable efficient access from home not just the office, as the current COVID-19 times might require an extended work from home. im not sure what specs and what services i need to select through Google Cloud services, i know i will need SQL and a VM Instance. but as to specs and requirements im quite lost... anyhelp or advice would be greatly appreciated.! many thanks in advance. also open to other sources not just google, we are based in Western Australia. so having australian hosted server would be ideal. many thanks in advance.

p.s im not well versed in server stuff. i know a little but not confident to say im competent.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:26
Can't really help with google cloud but based on the MS offering (sql azure) and depending on your level of use it will probably be cheaper and will be easier to use a terminal services supplier.

With regards specs and requirements, generally speaking you need to provide information around your requirements for size of database, frequency/period of access, types of operations (insert/append/delete) number of users etc. Some of these are often guesswork. You will be charged based on your useage. Suggest if not sure, go for the cheapest option and upgrade from there - but be aware costs can run away. I had I client using SQL Azure costing them around £130/month, only a small app, but their requirements changed and they needed to be able to access on the move, not just from home which SQL Azure isn't really set up for (see below). I moved them to terminal server with an access back end and the costs dropped to about £70/month - and performance improved considerably.

both google and MS require a user to register a fixed IP to connect, there are other ways but they all carry high security risks. With regards the phrases 'conversion' and 'efficient' that will depend on how well written your app is at the moment. Generally it is easy to convert the tables, with efficiency around proper indexing, but the primary efficiency comes down to your front end - so forms should all based on single or only a few records, no use of vba functions (in particular domain and udf's) etc.

Not sure why you need a VM instance, perhaps google are doing it differently

HiTechCoach

Local time
Yesterday, 20:26
It is possible to get only SQL Server database hosting.

If you must have complete control of the Windows OS and the SQL server installation, then you would need a VM. This is also the most expensive way.

Converting your Access front end to work with a remote SQL server is possible, but will take time to get it working. If this will be a long term solution, then It could be worth the time and cost o implement it.

If you need this done quickly, then I agree with CJ_London that using Terminal Servies would be a better option. You can be up and running in a few hours or less with no changes required to your Access application.

What I have been helping clients do is set you remote access to the desktop PC's in their office to allow users to work remotely. Why I thnk this is the best solution is it provides access to all the other desktop software on their PCs and things on the network. Nothing has to be done to your Access database or anything else. It also keeps everything secure on your own hardware where your backup is already running!

You can be working remotely in minutes with remote access software. I have a list of ones I recommend here: Remote Access and Spport Tools

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:26
What I have been helping clients do is set you remote access to the desktop PC's in their office to allow users to work remotely
what that does require (naturally) is that each user has their own home computer - or spare office laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom