Government Spending (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 01:19
Both parties have contributed to this without a doubt, especially at this stage of time when a certain minimum spending is considered obligatory in order to not let down promised recipients. Generally, the Democrats solutions are more geared toward spending money, while the Republicans' standpoint is more geared toward giving people opportunities and cutting government BACK to both allow and force people to be successful by traditional values like work, marriage, etc.

Excerpt:
Other expenses highlighted were $659 billion for national debt interest, $33.2 million for transgender monkey research, $6 million for boosting Egyptian tourism, and an unknown cost for USDA's dog-walking research in summer.

"Researchers found the Labradors’ fur color did not affect their body temperatures after a hot summer’s walk. That’s it. That’s the taxpayerfunded, cutting-edge study," Paul wrote. "The Agricultural Research Service at the USDA, which funded the study at Southern Illinois University, gets $1.7 billion a year from Congress, but it’s unknown how much the hot dog study cost the taxpayer."

The good thing is his reports make very fun reading.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:19
Science for the sake of science is how we discover how our world works but I don't see anything about funding it in the Constitution.

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I'd like to know whether my theory about washing dishes growing my fingernails longer is true too, but I won't take your paycheck for it

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:19
Actually, I can see looking at transgender monkey research because it has been shown that humans have brain structures (independent of sex organs) that are normally associated only with a specific gender. Since the 1990s it has been known that people with mixed brain and sex organ structures are homosexual. It would be significant to find that the problem occurs in other primates as well.

Boosting Egypt's tourism? That one should only be funded by Egypt.

Dog-walking research? Dogs walk. They chase things. They poop along the way. They leave scent marks as they go. What else do we need to research?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
My dog also licks special parts of grass and flowers. I hate it, I never know what he is going to catch

jpl458

Local time
Both parties have contributed to this without a doubt, especially at this stage of time when a certain minimum spending is considered obligatory in order to not let down promised recipients. Generally, the Democrats solutions are more geared toward spending money, while the Republicans' standpoint is more geared toward giving people opportunities and cutting government BACK to both allow and force people to be successful by traditional values like work, marriage, etc.

Excerpt:

The good thing is his reports make very fun reading.
Here is a chart of the debt by president. The Republican claim fiscal frugalness yet, I don't see it in the chart.

1703627287622.png

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Here is a chart of the debt by president. The Republican claim fiscal frugalness yet, I don't see it in the chart.

View attachment 111606

I'm not sure the amount of debt has much to do with the President. The happening to be President at the time certain bills were passed and that certain events occurred may have a mild correlation but that's about it. For example, people don't usually blame Trump for Covid happening but we do blame Democrats for their extremely expensive response to it with regard to people's ability to work, school, parent and generally participate in the economy.

The Democrats' solutions definitely tend to be spending. The Republicans have certain things they like to spend on, (military, for example), but the Democrats tend to exclusively come up with solutions that require spending a lot of money.

All I know is, every time I hear a Democrat talk about a solution it's spending money. 3/4 of those times the Republicans are trying to stop it.
Student loan forgiveness is a great example. Why spend money on forgiving loans that lucid people willingly took out? How is that fair to anyone else?

Another big factor is whose money is being spent, which is an issue you can slice and dice a million different ways.

I can't remember the last time I heard a major Democrat-sponsored bill as a solution to a substantial problem that didn't simply involve spending more money to give people stuff.

Remember Covid? Democrats: pay people not to work. Republicans: let people work.

It's a worldview on government difference.

There's a major ship to be steered; I'd guess if Republicans had majority control it would take at least 2 administrations or more consecutively to reverse the national debt trend, if not more. Thus the chart is not much good.

This is why I don't tend to be directly critical nor attribute success in a very direct manner from , say, jobs report to president. We know Covid has receded, we know those restored jobs have nothing to do with Biden, and the same may be true from jobs gained under a Republican president.

I do know one thing. We have a major debt problem, and our solutions need to be trained on a cultural shift toward encouraging and requiring people to work, rather than spending more money to give them more creature comforts. Preferably before we have to be one of those countries where people are rioting over "austerity measures" which is a fancy way of saying, we were stupid and spent too much money.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Trump was on his way to reducing the national debt until the Chinese dropped COVID on the world and the Democrats, unable to let a good crisis go to waste, drastically overspent. The Republicans in the House couldn't stop it and there are too many RINOs in the Senate to do anything. Trump was between a rock and a hard place. Shutdown the government or pass the grossly inflated spending bills.

I don't have anything good to say about Bush the younger except, he was unfortunately the President during 9/11 and that caused a massive uptick in defense spending.

I can't explain the uptick for Regan without research.

BUT, Biden should be reducing spending, not reducing the increase now that the COVID "crisis" is past. We should be returning to pre-COVID spending levels. NOT increasing COVID level spending. "Reducing the increase" is something the American public told is a reduction and something to be happy about and the stupid among us believe it:(

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
You bring up another good point - rhinos. Which is to say, what the party wants, they don't always get.

Hypothetically even though government spending were precisely the same between party administrations and majority rules, that could be because of political pressure to cave to what was being sold the public at the moment - and it can still be true, and most definitely is, that one party relies far more on "spend more money" solutions than the other one does. Mostly because one party thinks we need a bunch of solutions that we don't even need. Hence the notion less government, more government. Do we need to pay 3 year olds to go to "school", etc. etc.

"I'll take a side of ..... Everything, please" = sounds good when you're spending other people's money.

conception_native_0123

Local time
Here is a chart of the debt by president.
what a bunch of bullshit. Doesn't matter where a chart or graph comes from regarding the government and its finances. It can't possibly be right, and never can be. My God. Remember, it's called POLITICS. aka - LYING.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
what a bunch of bullshit. Doesn't matter where a chart or graph comes from regarding the government and its finances. It can't possibly be right, and never can be. My God. Remember, it's called POLITICS. aka - LYING.
Does Biden's debt include Ukraine, apparently we're funding every aspect of their lives including retirement.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I keep wondering if only Republicans are stupid enough to pay taxes. Surely all of the Democrats are not so ignorant of reality as to think that supporting NINE MILLION illegal aliens who arrived during the Biden administration at THEIR invitation is not costing them any money? Who do they think is paying to fly them around the country and put them up in hotels. Our homeless vets don't get 3 star hotel accomodation and three hots a day. Why do we care more for criminals than the men and women who fought to defend this country in wars that were fought to defend people who hate us? How about the 30+ million illegals who were already here, 50% of which "qualify" for at least one welfare program? Here we are, American taxpayers, contributing to the retirement accounts of Ukrainians as well as opening our borders to anyone who wants to enter and suck off the teet of our welfare system - but the Ukrainian border is sacrosanct. And if that isn't enough, Biden is pushing the same scam he pushed in 2020 and promising to forgive student loan debt. How stupid is bubous Americanous? Do they all think that money grows on trees?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I can't explain the uptick for Regan without research.

Pat, Reagan outspent the Russkis with the "Star Wars" project (satellite research) that bankrupted the USSR and split them off into independent countries.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Pat, Reagan outspent the Russkis with the "Star Wars" project (satellite research) that bankrupted the USSR and split them off into independent countries.
Like I said, not all spending is the same.

Being fiscally smart isn't exclusively about saving money, it's about channeling it into best places.

When I hear of a huge amount of my tax money being spent on the military, and I Look around the world, I'm OK with that, sort of. As long as its preventative and keeps us competitive - not useless wars.
When I hear of my money being spent on dumb stuff, and giving a bunch of free stuff to people not paying those same taxes, and we're getting in debt for that too, that stinks.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:19
US National debt is now $33.7 trillion. About half of Treasury debt matures in the next 3 years. If that debt is rolled over with current interest rates, the interest on debt will rise from around $700 billion to about $2 trillion. They keep kicking the can down the road but that road is not endless. Within 5 years, interest expense could be half of tax receipts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom