Guidance for a making a simple database (1 Viewer)

JIT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:01
Hi everybody, I want to develop a simple database to store testing records. I want to use two forms to enter data, form1 to enter individual testing requirment, and form2 to enter data for individual testing (when it has been done, who has done, any problems etc). I have attached a command button in form1 to open the form2. In form2 some fields are common, for example, type of testing, testing requirements etc. What I want is that when I open the form 2 from form 1, the common field should be filled up from form 1 for a particular testing. How to do this? I have created two tables linking the two forms respectively. But I am struggling. Could some of you please help me? I know what is a herculean task for me, is very simple to some of you. Please help me.

Thanks in advance,

Jit

NeilC

Local time
Today, 15:01
This might not seem all that helpful but....it's usually a much better idea to design the database in terms of data, it's relationships and the tables you need to hold it - rather than thinking of the forms up front. When you design from the form down you often run into problems.

Forms merely display data from tables and queries and can be easily designed later when you have the data structure designed and understood.

"What I want is that when I open the Form2 from Form1, the common field should be filled up from Form1 for a particular testing". What you really mean is that when you open form 2 from form1 it displays the correct record (held in a table) - i.e the record should be selected from certain information that was contained in Form1.

Maybe you've already designed it like this? - ie with seperate tables I imagine you'll have used Lookup Fields to relate the tables. Eg if Form 1 is Test Requirements and each Requirement record relates to one or more record in table 2 (say it's called Tests) then each record in Tests (ie each Test you perform) will need to have a field called Requirement, in which you will enter the ID from the relevant record in the Test Requirements table. You'll have related these maybe using the Lookup Field wizard.

If you've done this then it's simple to do what you want. When you add the button and you use the wizard to to a Open Record command you'll be given the option to open a specific record according to a match in one of the fields on the form.

JIT

Registered User.
Local time
Hello Neil, Good Morning and thanks for your reply. You are correct in saying that I have been confused between the form and table. That is the problem with a greenhorn. To explain it more:

I have made two tables. Table 1 has a specific test requirement, say Voltage, as a primary key. In that table1, there are other fields such as standard reference, test details etc. Table 2 also has common fields such as Voltage, standard reference from table 1 and other fields such as when the voltage test has been performed, who has performed the test, at what date, any comments etc. The two forms, form 1 and form 2, are connected to the respective tables. First I want to open form 1, say voltage test. When I hit the command button for entering specific data for voltage test, it should open the form 2 and the common fields in form2 such as voltage test requirement, standard reference should automatically be filled up from table 1. That I am unable to do. I would sincerely appreciate your or anybody's help in this regard.

Jit

JIT

Registered User.
Local time
Would anybody here please assist me?

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom