Gun violence (1 Viewer)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:56
They already broke the law, why would they feel the need to obey it later.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time

Why do liberals struggle so dang hard to understand the $18 mcdonalds meal after the $20 minimum wage??
Are they stupid? Did they think mcdonalds was just going to give charity to the incoming employees via a higher wage???

You don't even have to be that old to have watched plenty of these cycles of raise the wage, watch the product get more epensive

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:56
That's not liberals. It's the press sensationalizing to sell more papers.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:56
I just ate lunch at a diner with a friend this afternoon and was aghast at the prices. Diners used to be plain comfort food at low prices. Somehow, the prices are now higher than the restaurant chains for entrees. A hot-turkey sandwich is now $18.99.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 19:56
Actually, that does seem alot. Was the turkey sandwich a starter or was the 18.99 the whole meal, coffee etc.?
I'm interested because on TV we see American diners either as disused railway carriages, (as in Columbo) or round shaped places where waitresses use roller skates.(as in happy days)
Col

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Was the turkey sandwich a starter or was the 18.99 the whole meal, coffee etc.?
It was an "entree" which is the main course. No salad, no soup, no coffee, no dessert.

Those diners still exist. There is one in my town with the dining room in a caboose. The common thing about diners is their long hours, sometimes 24/7, huge menus, and the "breakfast all the time" option. So, they are great places to go after the bridge game where you want to talk about the hands. They are generally brightly lit and have comfortable but basic booths and tables. Some have liquor licences, but usually not. People don't go to diners to drink. They go to eat, especially breakfast.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
You guys need to read more news. I've read about a dozen articles in the past week or so explaining why food costs are still up.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
It was an "entree" which is the main course. No salad, no soup, no coffee, no dessert.

Those diners still exist. There is one in my town with the dining room in a caboose. The common thing about diners is their long hours, sometimes 24/7, huge menus, and the "breakfast all the time" option. So, they are great places to go after the bridge game where you want to talk about the hands. They are generally brightly lit and have comfortable but basic booths and tables. Some have liquor licences, but usually not. People don't go to diners to drink. They go to eat, especially breakfast.
I'm aware of what an entree is thanks. I do agree it seems alot for a sandwich. A sandwich in the UK costs around $3 maybe a little more depending on the filling. A better bet is a 'meal deal' - a sandwich and a drink and packet of crisps for £4.
Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
You guys need to read more news. I've read about a dozen articles in the past week or so explaining why food costs are still up.
I would have thought one article explaining it was enough. Why read 12 ?
Col

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The point was a relative one. Not that prices are up specifically.

In the past, diners were ALWAYS lower priced than the typical chain restaurant such as TGI Friday's Similar entrees at both places were always larger portions and cheaper at a diner. The dinner entrees at the diner were all $19.99 + although most include soup or salad.

Colin,
A "hot turkey sandwich" is more of a meal than a sandwich. It is sliced turkey breast on top of stuffing on top of one or two slices of bread plus mashed potatoes with gravy on top and cranberry sauce on the side. You always eat it with a knife and fork, not with your hands. This is a typical diner special offering that probably 99% of all diners serve (at least in my part of the country). The typical sandwiches were $7-$9 depending on what was inside. Egg salad was cheapest and roast beef was most expensive. Sandwiches at diners usually come with coleslaw and pickles. Coleslaw, if that isn't common in the UK is a cabbage salad with mayonnaise, spices and sometimes onion and green pepper. Sandwich plated used to include french fries. Now they are a la carte.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
We have a place with Pot roast, potatoes and carrots on Wednesdays. Last spring it was $9.99 lunch menu. sold out fast.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
sold out fast.
A long time ago - I was working for a large company in downtown Hartford before buildings were locked down. They redid their cafeteria and mentioned the grand opening in the newspaper where they were offering old time 5 cent roast beef dinners. Not only were they feeding employees, they were feeding everyone from all the buildings near us:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
We used to have a pharmacy that was something like a 100 years old. It had an old fashion soda fountain by the front window, round stools and wooden counter. A small soda was 5 cents, a large 10 cents. It closed @ 2008. Was a great place to send the kids with a quarter and get change back.

We also have a diner that's @75 years old and was the backdrop of a Norman Rockwell painting. Prices weren't bad and the portions were enormous. The walls were covered with 60 years of pictures of the owner/cook with every celebrity possible. Unfortunately new owners kind of ruined the atmosphere.

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
That's not liberals. It's the press sensationalizing to sell more papers.
What I mean is it's the liberals that are always doing the dumb minimum wage hikes giving young people tons of money for minimum wage jobs which then makes products more expensive. That is very much a liberal thing in my country anyway.

Conservatives generally prefer to let the market dictate how much people are worth rather than artificially legislating a minimum

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
giving young people tons of money
Those walmart associates don't look very young to me. Especially the ones with 4 mouths to feed. I think conservatives just miss slavery.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:56
Yet in US history, it was the liberal side of the house that created the KKK to suppress the former slaves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom