Have several unbound textboxes populate with different records (1 Viewer)

jer

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:10
Is it possible to have several unbound textboxes populate with different records. I have a list of tools in a box for example. When i search that box i want the list of tools to appear. I cant use a list box because I cannot format it to the set standard needed! any ideas? Basically Im trying to make a listbox out of several textboxes!!

Any help would be great!
Jer

jer

Registered User.
Local time
how would that work? Would it be a list of textboxes referencing the query im running? If so how do i do that!!

jer

Registered User.
Local time
I have a subform in datasheet view if thats what you are refering to! but the only porblem I am having is that i cant change the size and colours of the column headings! any ideas?

jer

Registered User.
Local time
I have done a little research any what I am trying to do cant be done with a subform in datasheet view!
Is there any way as i previously said to just creat a list from textboxes, each populating with the name of a tool in a pallet. i.e. if there are 10 tools then the 10 textboxes will populate, each with the name of one of the tools?
However if this is possible, is there a way to make these controls invisible so that they wont print out if they are not poplulated? This is because the form could have 10 textboxes but for instance a pallet might only have 5 tools in it! then when i print the form which will be stuck to the outside of the box, i cant have 5 blank cells in the list!!
Any ideas?

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Is there any way as i previously said to just creat a list from textboxes, each populating with the name of a tool in a pallet. i.e. if there are 10 tools then the 10 textboxes will populate, each with the name of one of the tools?
However if this is possible, is there a way to make these controls invisible so that they wont print out if they are not poplulated? This is because the form could have 10 textboxes but for instance a pallet might only have 5 tools in it! then when i print the form which will be stuck to the outside of the box, i cant have 5 blank cells in the list!!
Any ideas?
You are asking for too much. This is what the subform is created for.

I have done a little research any what I am trying to do cant be done with a subform in datasheet view!
Why do you think the subform can't do what you want? Have you even asked.

jer

Registered User.
Local time
I have the subform in datasheet view. So from this i get a list of the tools in the pallet. The list grows with the number of tools etc so i dont have to worry about blank cells! However there are different tools for different engines. The form in datasheet view appears as a table with Tool No# being the name of one column and description is the other. I need to be able to change the background colour of these two cells as the tools are colour coded to the different engines. I dont think this can be done. You have any ideas?

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Have you heard of Conditional Formatting?

What version of Access are you using?

jer

Registered User.
Local time
Access 2000
ya i have used that, but can that apply to the header of the table?

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
What table? You're table about a form here, not a table.

Conditional Formatting will format whatever control you apply it on. In Access 2000 you are limited to 3 formats via the CF dialog.

jer

Registered User.
Local time
i have the form in datasheet view so it comes up as a table. You follow?
Its the column headings, I want their background colour to change depending on the type of engine the tools are used for..

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
It is in datasheet view, it doesn't come up as a table. The default view of a table is Datasheet that's why it always looks that way.

So you can't change the colour of the Column Headers in a Datasheet unless (maybe) through an API.

Use a Continuous Form instead, change the labels to textboxes and place them on the Form Header section. You can then apply conditional formatting on the textboxes.

jer

Registered User.
Local time
change the labels to textboxes? I put a few textboxes in the header but they all just show up the details of the first tool.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
You misunderstood what I'm getting at.

All I said was us a Continuous Form., put the labels (i.e. the labels of each control) in the Header section, convert them to Textboxes and apply conditional formatting on it. A bound continuous form displays mutliple records. If you are unsure, read about it.

jer

Registered User.
Local time
Would you be able to create an example for me because im finding it difficult to follow you..

jer

Registered User.
Local time
Hi vbaInet,
After a bit of reading and research I figured out what you were on about. However I have one last problem. Could you take a look at the thread "
Making texboxes invisible depending on the value in them " a let me know what yop think.
Thanks.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
You didn't think I would go searching for the thread now did you? ;) Paste the url here or I will post a message if I come across it.
Could you take a look at the thread "
Making texboxes invisible depending on the value in them " a let me know what yop think.
Thanks.

jer

Registered User.
Local time
its ok, i figured it out using a few IIF statements,
thaks anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom