Have You heard of this Scam!? (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:41
I happened upon this excellent YouTube by Nina or "Kitty"...

https://youtu.be/2IT2oAzTcvU

It's such an excellent presentation which also imparts some information about a scam I've never heard of before. Thought you might be interested in the Scam and amused by the story!

Sent from Newbury UK

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:41
Very interesting.

The vid following it @ the 18 year old buying a mainframe was also amazing.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Identify theft via PII...a common tale these days...

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I should have mentioned the type of fraud is called "Triangulation Fraud" and it's done by Mules! - At first glance, it appears to be a victim-less crime, until you discover that the victim is some older gentleman, who probably has no idea that he is a victim! Seeing as there are a few "Older Gentleman" on this site, (according to Adam) I thought I should mention it!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Very interesting.

The vid following it @ the 18 year old buying a mainframe was also amazing.

I didn't see those Moke? I suspect I get a different set of videos fed to me than you get....

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Wow, what a world we live in. She said that others called this a victimless crime but that is so far from true. After a time, George wonders why his credit rating has gone down the toilet. Do you have any idea what a nightmare that's going to be for him to straighten out?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Identify theft via PII...a common tale these days...
You and Colin, using acronyms! I can't be assed to look them up!

Can you decipher this one?

IP Standing up . . What am I?

Sent from Newbury UK

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
You and Colin, using acronyms! I can't be assed to look them up!

Can you decipher this one?

IP Standing up . . What am I?

Hey I haven't participated in this thread till now!

It means you are a man

PII=personally identifiable information

BFN

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
BFN

Bet you F'in New that...

I've decided to make my own up...

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Wow, what a world we live in. She said that others called this a victimless crime but that is so far from true. After a time, George wonders why his credit rating has gone down the toilet. Do you have any idea what a nightmare that's going to be for him to straighten out?
Unfortunately the Banks and Card companies really dont care that much about your troubles. They're insured for the losses, make you wait weeks to get your money back, and dont want to be bothered to notify LE.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
BFN = bye for now.
IIRC it was Jimmy Young's sign off phrase on his radio show

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Unfortunately the Banks and Card companies really dont care that much about your troubles.

I can't remember where I saw it, and I'm sure I've mentioned it on AWF before. Most companies "complaints systems" / "customer help systems" are designed to piss you off so that you don't bother calling them! The people you talk to have no power, and a favourite one I've heard, is you say "I need to speak to a manager please" and the response, the manager is not available today, I will get the manager to call you tomorrow...

Mind you I have been fortunate in dealing with some companies to get through to some really nice people who are just trapped in a system invented by what - accountants?

Just last year I had a problem with Amazon, and you couldn't ask for better service... I am now very reluctant to buy from anywhere except Amazon.... Hopefully voting with your virtual feet will persuade the "manipulative companies" to change their arrogant Ways....

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:41
If I had not gotten an Amazon gift card for Christmas, I probably wouldn't deal with them at all.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
My best friend's brother works for Amazon and says he is treated well and enjoys his work.
I too have conacted Amazon in the past for Kindle issues and that support has been excellent. Their process is excellent as well for buying/returning.

I just wish other companies could come at least somewhere near.

However having worked in such companies in the past I am fully aware that whilst the company person might well want to give good service, they are thwarted by company process/rules.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
If I had not gotten an Amazon gift card for Christmas, I probably wouldn't deal with them at all.

I have always had a disdain for gift cards because for one thing, if you don't use them within a certain time limit, then you lose the money! I just consider them scammy... I also I read somewhere that 30% of gift cards are never reclaimed...

So now this next bit is going to sound very odd. I just wonder what others think? I was looking for Christmas presents for grandchildren and I saw an "Amazon gift card". For some reason it just seemed ideal, it seemed better than cash in an envelope, it just seemed the best most ideal present, and I am still puzzled as to why? Especially considering what I said in the first paragraph....

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I would be thinking that there is so much on offer at Amazon, that it would hard not to spend it in a reasobaly amount of time.?

I too have had gift cards never redeemed and out of date. :(

I have always had a disdain for gift cards because for one thing, if you don't use them within a certain time limit, then you lose the money! I just consider them scammy... I also I read somewhere that 30% of gift cards are never reclaimed...

So now this next bit is going to sound very odd. I just wonder what others think? I was looking for Christmas presents for grandchildren and I saw an "Amazon gift card". For some reason it just seemed ideal, it seemed better than cash in an envelope, it just seemed the best most ideal present, and I am still puzzled as to why? Especially considering what I said in the first paragraph....

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
if you don't use them within a certain time limit, then you lose the money!
Interesting. In Canada, that's illegal and I've never had it happen since the law was introduced.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:41
After some laws were passed on this subject, gift cards in some states cannot expire quickly. They must die by attrition, a few percent per year.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Actually, the rule is older than I thought, and may not be the same coast to coast.
CBC News · Posted: May 29, 2007 3:22 PM ET | Last Updated: May 29, 2007

Under a new consumer protection regulation, businesses in Ontario will have to eliminate expiry dates on gift cards — plastic cards loaded with cash value — as of October 1.
"Cash equivalent gift cards will never expire," Government Services Minister Gerry Phillips said on Tuesday in Toronto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom