Help required with creating Access database to use with VB.NET (1 Viewer)

Bill2007Gates

Local time
Yesterday, 23:01
Hi everyone, I have decided to put all my ideas together and create a VB.Net Program which will be also linking to an Access Database. The aim of the program is to help teaching staff at a school book computer rooms, and search if any rooms are available after putting in some searches. I know the program is quite difficult to have up and running given the knowledge I have, but over the last few weeks I have been putting ideas together and building some sort of skills to help me out. The way I want this to work is simple, on the windows form there are going to be some textboxes and combo boxes, the staff are expected to fill them out and if there is/are rooms available the correct room is shown in a datagrid.

For example the following will have to be filled in, in the window form:

Date - textbox
Number of computers – textbox
Number of Pupils – textbox
Projector Required – Combo box
Smartboard/Activeboard Required – Combo box
Printer Required – Combo box
Speakers Required – Combo box

After filling the above rows will show what room is available. Now comes the confusing part, how would I go about doing this? Im just really confused into what Im suppose to create in Access, I got stuck on the first table, I have created the first table with 6 columns (Date, ComputerRoom1 to ComputerRoom5) Now you can imagine with 6 columns, I was thinking about having each day going down the left (Which I think will be the Primary Key), But with each date I will have to fill in who has booked what, BUT the part im stuck on is with each room how will I say for example there is a Projector, and No Printer?

Im just hoping I can get the access database up and running the vb part will be not that difficult as I have time.

If you could give me any ideas, or help me out a little bit I would appreciate it.

Many thanks

Dennisk

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:01
you have created an un-normaised table with repeating groups ie ComputerRoom1.....5 etc

these columns should be in a seperate table with the column called computerRoom. As each column is now a row you can have none, one or many entries in computer room.

Last edited:

jaytheguru

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:01
Right as far as I understood you want to create a program which will insert values from VB into the database and at the same time will show the inserted entries into the datagrid which is in VB.

The database as the above person said needs to be created with different tables for each category.

Then you can either use adodb or oledb connection within VB to connect to the database. Use the INSERT Command to insert the values into the fields and use the Databound to bound the datagrid with database fields.

This way you'll be able to show the data which is within the database and also will be able to add data into the database.

hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom