Help with AfterUpdate combobox (1 Viewer)

gojets1721

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:21
I have a combobox with three preset values (New, In Progress, Closed).

I want to have VBA where if the combobox's value is changed from 'Closed' to 'In Progress', then my date field (ClosedDate) is changed to null.

Any suggestions? I don't know how to specifically make an action happened when one specific value is changed to another (i.e. I want nothing to happen if the combobox is changed from 'New' to 'In Progress').

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:21
You need to write event code for the Combo Box change event.

Inside the the combo's change event, you can compare the combo's .OldValue to its .Value and decide if the specific transition just occurred. If not a change from Closed to InProgress, do nothing.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:21
I would put the code in the Form's BeforeUpdate event. That way you won't have to handle multiple changes to the field and trying to figure out if you need to bring back the date you just removed. The Form's BeforeUpdate event is the last event that runs before the record gets saved so the user won't have an opportunity to waffle:)

gojets1721

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:21
I would put the code in the Form's BeforeUpdate event. That way you won't have to handle multiple changes to the field and trying to figure out if you need to bring back the date you just removed. The Form's BeforeUpdate event is the last event that runs before the record gets saved so the user won't have an opportunity to waffle:)
Okay thanks. So I tried the below code in the BeforeUpdate. It's still changing it to 'In progress' even if I select 'no' from the msgbox. It seems like it's not voiding the user's change to the combobox. Do I need to code it to do that?

Code:
    Dim strResponse As String

DoCmd.SetWarnings False

If Me.comboComplaintStatus.OldValue = "Closed" And Me.comboComplaintStatus.Value = "In progress" Then

strResponse = MsgBox("This complaint is closed. Are you sure you want to re-open it?", vbYesNo, ApplicationName)

If strResponse = vbYes Then

Me.comboComplaintStatus = "In progress"
            Me.txtClosedDate = ""

Else
            'do nothing
        End If

End If

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:21
It's still changing it to 'In progress' even if I select 'no' from the msgbox. It seems like it's not voiding the user's change to the combobox. Do I need to code it to do that?
Yes, you must add Cancel = True within that section of the If block.

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:21
No, before the 'Else'

Sorry, just re-read your code.

Yes, after the 'Else'

😬

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member