How Did You Suffer For Family? (Keep it light) (1 Viewer)

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 17:56
Hoping to keep this topic light-hearted.

Visiting family suggested "let's watch Pacific Rim: Uprising". Arguably one of the worst movies I've ever had to suffer through. The real killer is that while the movie blasts away, 3 out of 5 are gaming on their phones more than watching! What we do for family sometimes goes above and beyond, no? I think I'll leave it at that and hope for some funny ancdedotes from y'all while I get another Scotch to make this more tolerable.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:56
When my younger grandson is here after school every day, I get off my computer so he can play some of my great old "shooter" games. However, we DO restrict him to gaming only when he has NO homework and hasn't gotten bad grades in the current six-week period.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
THAT'S SUFFERING? You must HATE video games. :)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The suffering is that I don't get to play them when he's on the machine.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
You need some co-op! There are plenty of good co-op shooter games. How old is he?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
He's 12 but the co-op shooters I have require a second machine and at the moment, that won't work.

And let's not forget that we were asked to "keep it light." I could go VERY heavy for this topic but that wasn't the apparent point.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:56
When my girls were growing up, I suffered through many a TV show and movie for their pleasure. Almost as bad as riding through it's a small world at Disneyland (and/or) Disney World a number of times (and I mean more than 10).

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
That beats having to sit through a movie where those who wanted it are not looking up from their stupid phones! If you're saying you went on that ride 10x, there must be a special place in Heaven waiting for you. Thank God I had all boys!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
OK, watching "Barney" with my 1st grandson, or watching "Teen Titans" with my 2nd grandson. All I can say is OMG - and I'm not religious so you KNOW it was bad.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Did you get to watch Tellie Tubies (sp?). Very strange show.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
I think it was named Teletubbies, but yeah. Some Barney, some Power Rangers and other odd ones. There were some that were much more tolerable - even a bit enjoyable (Sesame Street).

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Today, 21:56
When my son was a toddler I had to suffer Wallace & Gromit and the Curse of the Were Rabbit on repeat...

After a week I knew it word for word.... Hell....

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Now I get to watch shows with my grandson. Mostly into Paw Patrol now. Was into Puppy Dog Pals and a few Micky Mouse shows. Was watching the Cars movie each week (only have him on the weekend), but I think he finally got his fill of the movie. We have a lot of old and new kid's movies. Some of them are pretty good.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I can't tell you how many animated features we have on the shelves for the "rotten kids." Some of them are fun, some are in the OMG category. But lately the 12-year-old has taken an interest in some of my sci-fi & action DVDs. Most recently RoboCop and RoboCop II (the Peter Weller versions). There IS some maturation after all.

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Today, 21:56
I can't tell you how many animated features we have on the shelves for the "rotten kids." Some of them are fun, some are in the OMG category. But lately the 12-year-old has taken an interest in some of my sci-fi & action DVDs. Most recently RoboCop and RoboCop II (the Peter Weller versions). There IS some maturation after all.

A bit heavy for a 12 year old....

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
True, but if you consider the violence in video games, Robocop is mostly tame and played for a LOT of laughs.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
They would just go to their friends and watch it anyway. Better they watch it with parents and are raised to understand reality vs fantasy than to be sheltered their entire lives and learn from their friends.

For me, I grew up with siblings that all had a favorite movie that they had to watch EVERY day, sometimes more than once. Beetlejuice for my sister. Keaton's Batman for my brother. Toy Story for my youngest brother. I still know every line of each of them, I think.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
A little different focus but still on point... I am visiting the US for a week. I came home to TCB on a few issues and my dance card is FULL.. My family have been bombarding me with requests for a visit...as long as I am the one who travels.

I have just flown over 3k miles yet they cant manage a 100 or 2?? Cheese and flipping crackers...

The only one who is coming (from Baltimore) is full of drama is my daughter who is bringing her deadbeat husband who I have never met and quite frankly was not in a big hurry to do so. FMTT.

Rant over...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Gent, there is no accounting for tastes - including your daughter's taste in men. Or my step-daughter's taste as well. So I understand.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
FMTT??
Looked it up for definition in several places. 2 related to tennis, 1 to finance, 1 to Florida and a few other obscure meanings which surely have no bearing here. I'm stumped, but it must have something to do with travel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom