How do i learn how to use this reporting tool? (1 Viewer)

MsLady

Traumatized by Access
Local time
Yesterday, 16:11
Please help. Any tutorials on this? Any suggestions please?
Links also.

thanks!:)

Kempes

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:11
It's reasonably easy to use. Just a case of playing with it once you know the basics.

What do you need to know? What version do you have?

MsLady

Traumatized by Access
Local time
I don't have it. But i think it comes with the .NET framework which i have, so i have to check around. I just want to know the basics of the crystal reporting tool. Is it similar to access reports? :eek:
I need an introduction :)

Kempes

Registered User.
Local time
Quite like the access reports but with greater functionality.

Basically, when you produce a new report, it prompts for your db connection. You can connect multiple databases from here. I have have connected an access db to an SQL db and an Oracle db in a single report.

You then have your design view which will have your field Explorer box listing all fields from selected tables.

Features include,
Database Expert (Creating the relationships between tables,fields)
Select Expert (ie, [Status] does not equal "Closed") quite like conditional formatting in access/excel
Section Expert (Customises section)
Formula Fields (you're own made fields within the report)
Parameter Fields (ie, From, To)
Top N Sort (ie, Show only top 10)

I quite like Crystal. We have also invested in Crystal Reports Distributor which sits on a server and pumps out timed reports automatically. Good tool.

Hope this helps get you started. Let me know if you have any specific questions or queries.

MsLady

Traumatized by Access
Local time
Thanks Kempes, very nice of you! That was the introduction i was hoping to get :)
The way you compared it side-by-side wiht access reports is very helpful. It doesn't sound very hard afterall. I guess it's a matter of playing around with it like you said. I will give it a try. thanks again buddy

MsLady

Traumatized by Access
Local time
Hi kempes,
Finally i found myself in crystal reporting today. Crystal report 10. The general work space idea is quite similar to access reports, except it's more complicated. I think i'll need a quick online tutorial (let me know if you have any). I have connected my sqlserver. I have placed controls (textboxes etc) on my report. So far, so good. Thanks quality guy!
Do you think crystal reports has the event's-procedure-functionality that access provides (or what's the equivalent for that) ie. the OnOpen, onFormat, onCurrent, OnLoad etc events where you write code for your report to do something based on an event. I'll get a tutorial. Im just hoping for a more elaborate general idea of its functionality, so i'd know what to look for straight into my tutorial instead of reading 1000pages of what i don't need immediately. And if so, what language works with crystal reports 10? Thanks and hope to hear from you soon :)

Kempes

Registered User.
Local time
Hi,

Glad to hear from you again. I too have v10.
If you go to Help > Report Samples, there should be a host of sample reports you can view.
As for events, There is an option under the reports header called Alerts, albeit I have no experience whatsoever with it. (There is a sample report that uses it though)
You can use SQL within the design but I usually stick to the crystal syntax in the formula workshop.
You may benefit from a simple overview course. I sat a two day introduction which provided a very basic platform to start from.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your reporting.

Kempes

pa3329

Registered User.
Local time
Is there a need (advantage) in buying Crystal Reports or would I be able to just use what comes in .NET 2005? My company is on a spending freeze but yet I need to update and create new crystal reports so if I NEED it they will purchase it…you’ve gotta love the accountants! Also, is it backwards compatible?

Kempes

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Pa3329,

I don't use .NET so can't give you a comparision (Maybe MSLADY could????)
However, I do know that if you purchase CR V10 for example (I think the current version is 11) and try to open older reports through 10 (lets say v8.5) this is possible, but be careful when exiting as it will say the report is an older version and prompt you to save it in the current version which will make the report useless for any colleagues running 8.5.
Naturally, if you create a report in 10, 8.5 users won't be able to open it.

From my limited knowledge on the subject, I beleive you can purchase the current version and install a previous version (so you are legally licensed) but you apparantly have to let them know that you are doing this.

Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom