How is the best way to add this revision to a sendobject function? (1 Viewer)

gojets1721

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:11
So I am using DoCmd.SendObject on a command to open up an email with an attachment from my DB.

I want to add some new code where if the email is sent, then a field in the form updates. However, if the user exits out of the email without sending, then nothing is updated.

My code is below. Anything special that I need to do with IF statements? Or is it as simple as adding the new code under the SendObject code?

All I want to do is update the status field to 'in progress' if the email is sent (i.e. Me.Status = 'In progress')

Code:
Private Sub btnSendEmail_Click()
On Error GoTo btnSendEmail_Click_Err

Dim ReportName As String
    Dim Subject As String
    Dim ToRecipient As String
    Dim CCRecipient As String
    Dim BCCRecipient As String
    Dim Message As String

ReportName = "rptEmailReport"

Subject = "Notification"
    ToRecipient = ""
    CCRecipient = ""
    BCCRecipient = ""
    Message = ""

DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdRefresh
    DoCmd.SendObject acReport, ReportName, acFormatPDF, ToRecipient, CCRecipient, BCCRecipient, Subject, Message, True, ""

btnSendEmail_Click_Exit:
    Exit Sub

btnSendEmail_Click_Err:

MsgBox "Error #" & Err.Number & " - " & Err.Description, , "Error"

Resume btnSendEmail_Click_Exit

End Sub

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 02:11
You may be able to do this only if you automate Outlook, but not the way you have it.

Without Automating Outlook there is no way to communicate back to Access. The method you have may not even open Outlook but another email client.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Agreeing with Maj, don't use SendObject at all.
As with most of the DoCmd items people use, there is a better way ... Automate the user's Outlook program, assuming you're in an Office-centric environment (which you probably are if you're giving them Access databases)

gojets1721

Registered User.
Local time
Agreeing with Maj, don't use SendObject at all.
As with most of the DoCmd items people use, there is a better way ... Automate the user's Outlook program, assuming you're in an Office-centric environment (which you probably are if you're giving them Access databases)
I'm not sure what you mean by automating Outlook (not your fault; I'm an idiot).

Could you explain or provide a guide?

Thanks

Last edited:

MajP

Local time
Automation means you manipulate another Microsoft office application through vba code. In the link I posted they created an object that allow them to manipulate Outlook objects.
Code:
 Set xOutApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
                Set xMailItem = xOutApp.CreateItem(0)

With xMailItem
                    .To = Cells(i, "I").Value
                    .CC = ccStr
                    .display
                    Signature = .HTMLBody
                    .Subject = "Feedback for " & Cells(i, "B").Value & " viz. " & Cells(i, "C").Value
                    .HTMLBody = html & "This request was assited by " & Cells(i, "K").Value & "<br><br>" & Signature
                    '.dispaly

'.Send
                End With

I would look below at some of the "Similar Threads" for some code. Or you can Google "control Outlook from Access" and should get good examples.

MajP

Local time
Here is a video that gives some OK background

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Now I will comment on something that has become so [insert frustrated term]'ed up over the years I cannot remember precisely where things stand at Outlook's most current version, (I know it went back and forth somewhat) - but if you get annoying popups from Outlook every time you try to automate sending an email, you can, depending on the version:
1) go into the Outlook Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings and go to Allow automated activity or some such named thing
or
2) use a free (I think still?) program called Redemption which essentially, (if you have permission at your company to install it on the user's machine), allows a bypass of those popups, IF you are in an Outlook version where microsoft decided for our own good we should no longer have that power

gojets1721

Registered User.
Local time
Automation means you manipulate another Microsoft office application through vba code. In the link I posted they created an object that allow them to manipulate Outlook objects.
Code:
 Set xOutApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
                Set xMailItem = xOutApp.CreateItem(0)

With xMailItem
                    .To = Cells(i, "I").Value
                    .CC = ccStr
                    .display
                    Signature = .HTMLBody
                    .Subject = "Feedback for " & Cells(i, "B").Value & " viz. " & Cells(i, "C").Value
                    .HTMLBody = html & "This request was assited by " & Cells(i, "K").Value & "<br><br>" & Signature
                    '.dispaly

'.Send
                End With

I would look below at some of the "Similar Threads" for some code. Or you can Google "control Outlook from Access" and should get good examples.
Okay thanks. I am using the sendobject largely because I'm sending a report from Access with the email. Any suggestions on how to include that in the above code. I'm not finding any guides online that include how to attach a MS Access Report to the email

Thanks!

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:11
You would have to output the report to a pdf file, save it then add it as an attachment.
This thread has some code

gojets1721

Registered User.
Local time
You would have to output the report to a pdf file, save it then add it as an attachment.
This thread has some code
Got it. Thank you! So I rewrote the code as suggested. It is below. I'm still not sure how to write it so that my 'status' field ONLY updates if an email is sent (maybe it's not possible).

The code below displays the outlook message and I only want 'Me.Status' to update if the user sends the email. If they exit out of the email without sending, ideally the code stops there. Any suggestions?

Code:
Private Sub btnSendEmail_Click()
On Error GoTo btnSendEmail_Click_Err

Dim Msg As String
    Dim O As Outlook.Application
    Dim M As Outlook.MailItem
    Dim objOutlookAttach As Outlook.Attachment

Set O = New Outlook.Application
    Set M = O.CreateItem(olMailItem)

With M
        .BodyFormat = olFormatHTML
        .HTMLBody = "Please see attached"
        .To = ""
        .CC = ""
        .BCC = ""
        .Subject = "See Attached Report"
           .Display
    End With

Set M = Nothing
    Set O = Nothing

Me.Status = "Completed"

btnSendEmail_Click_Exit:
    Exit Sub

btnSendEmail_Click_Err:

If Err = 2501 Then

Else

MsgBox "Error #" & Err.Number & " - " & Err.Description, , "Error"

End If

Resume btnSendEmail_Click_Exit

End Sub

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I think the cancel action which is handled by the 2501 error could be your friend.

From memory if they cancel the send it raises a 2501 error, so you could use that to simply escape the process before updating your sent status.

gojets1721

Registered User.
Local time
I think the cancel action which is handled by the 2501 error could be your friend.

From memory if they cancel the send it raises a 2501 error, so you could use that to simply escape the process before updating your sent status.
So I looked at that and it doesn't raises any error unfortunately :/

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Did you comment out the existing On Error statement before trying it?

gojets1721

Registered User.
Local time
I'm gonna create a new post since so much of my code has changed since I originally posted. I found a viable solution but can't seem to get it working. Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom