How to change the source of a linked table? (1 Viewer)

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 19:11
I have 3 linked tables to 3 csv files. These csv files are downloaded from an on-line order system.

Because of some changes that our IT has put in place, I have to change the folder the csv files will be downloaded to.
(From shared folder of domain controller to another File server).

Is there anyway to change the source of the linked tables without deleting and recreating them?
Each csv has more than 150 columns and it's like hell if I go through the linking wizard and selecting the columns I need and changing their names & data types.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:11
They should show up in the linked table manager, so you can simply use that if it's one off change.

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:11
Each csv has more than 150 columns and it's like hell if I go through the linking wizard and selecting the columns I need and changing their names & data types.
That's why it is advisable to store the specification used to link (or import) a CSV file. Then you can recreate the table with one line of VBA code.

You can try whether it works to just change the path to the linked file in the TableDef.Connect property, but I don't think it is possible.

KitaYama

Local time
They should show up in the linked table manager, so you can simply use that if it's one off change.
I can't find any.
Is this what you mean?

2023-12-01_18-49-59.png

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
If only I knew ....
Maybe you can build the import spec by analyzing the existing tables/files and writing their structure into the ImEx-tables thus creating an import specification retroactively. - This is going to be a bit of work. Not sure if it worth it for a one time operation.

KitaYama

Local time
Yes, if you tick the top box (text) it should give the option to pick a new location at the bottom of the form?
It does for Excel sheets
I've already tried that. Seems excel options are different than csv.
Here's what I have

2023-12-01_20-00-26.png

ebs17

Local time
Each csv has more than 150 columns and it's like hell if I go through the linking wizard and selecting the columns I need and changing their names & data types
If this is necessary and the use of these linked tables has worked so far, then the necessary import specifications should already exist and can therefore be used immediately.
For a “TransferText acLinkDelim” you only need the names of these specifications, for example from the associated system table.

KitaYama

Local time
For a “TransferText acLinkDelim” you only need the names of these specifications, for example from the associated system table.
I'll work on this to see if I can find something usable.
Thanks.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Yes you can alter the source path for CSV files in the LTM

1701435127963.png

OR if you save the path using the new IMEX data tasks, you can edit the path in a different way. See

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Is there anyway to change the source of the linked tables without deleting and recreating them?
have you considered using a sql query instead of a linked table? then all you need to do is change the path

basic query is

Code:
SELECT *
FROM (SELECT * FROM [TEXT;DATABASE=C:\Path;HDR=Yes].filename.csv)  AS csv;

modify your select statement to just include the fields you require and do any renaming or data conversions if required (using cdate, cdbl etc for example)

you can also convert the query to an append, update or upsert query

Assuming you are using a query to take data from your linked tables to append/update you can probably modify that instead

KitaYama

Local time
have you considered using a sql query instead of a linked table?
No, never. I think it would be the best method. And now that you suggested it, I feel stupid why I didn't thought of it.

It would be the first thing I'll test Monday morning.

Million thanks.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
the method only works as shown if it is a true csv (comma separated), if a different character is used you need to create a schema.ini file to specify the separator - and you can also specify other things like names, datatypes etc. If you have an automated importer, easy enough to create on the fly as part of the import process

KitaYama

Local time
Yes you can alter the source path for CSV files in the LTM

View attachment 111234

OR if you save the path using the new IMEX data tasks, you can edit the path in a different way. See
@isladogs As @CJ_London suggested, I'll use a select query to read what I need from the csv. Just wondering why what you have is different with what I showed in #8.
Edit button is grayed out for me. Is it something because of the versions of Access? I'm on M365.
It's too late here and I haven't read the link you suggested. Maybe I find the answer tomorrow when I'm finished reading it.

thanks.

Thanks.

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
@isladogs Just wondering why what you have is different with what I showed in #8.
Edit button is grayed out for me. Is it something because of the versions of Access? I'm on M365.
It's too late here and I haven't read the link you suggested. Maybe I find the answer tomorrow when I'm finished reading it.

thanks.

Thanks.
Nothing to do with the Access version. The Edit button is enabled when one or more items are selected.

The method described in my article involves a completely different approach

KitaYama

Local time
SELECT *
FROM (SELECT * FROM [TEXT;DATABASE=C:\Path;HDR=Yes].filename.csv) AS csv;
@CJ_London I'm not too good in queries, but is there any specific reason you used 2 Select statements? I used the following and the result was just the same as your suggestion.

SELECT * FROM [TEXT;DATABASE=D:\Downloads\;HDR=Yes].s0502.csv;
(In fact, instead of *, I used 10 fields xxxx As xxxx)

the method only works as shown if it is a true csv (comma separated), if a different character is used you need to create a schema.ini file to specify the separator
The downloaded csv files where tab separated. So at first I couldn't use them in above query. I've never used a schema.ini file, so started reading about them. I have a time limit set by IT, so while reading and learning about the ini file, I did did following as a work around and it worked.
I wrote a tiny function and used FSO and opened the csv files, read the contents, replaced vbTab to , and saved back the csv.
Then the above query showed the result perfectly.

Do you think I'll be OK with this method, or still a schema.ini is preferrable.

Thanks a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom