How to find an Administrator (1 Viewer)

davegoodo

Local time
Tomorrow, 05:28
I'm trying to make a post but I keep getting messages that my post is spam-like and I need to contact an administrator.
I don't know where to look. I've attached a copy of my post, which seems OK to me, but I can't make a reply. How do I find an administrator?

Attachments

• My Final Post.txt
    932 bytes · Views: 19

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 20:28
I cannot see anything obvious with that.
I will try and post it in that thread, thought you should have quoted the post you were replying to.

davegoodo

Local time
I cannot see anything obvious with that.
I will try and post it in that thread, thought you should have quoted the post you were replying to.
I did reply and quoted the post I was answering.

I'm still trying to post to that thread but I keep getting the administrator message

Last edited:

DickyP

Local time
To contact an Administrator go to the main forum page and Right Click on any of the Staff Online and start a conversation. I had the same problem as you and it tuned out it was because I was trying to post with an embedded link and I've made fewer than a 100 posts. It's an anti-spam measure which I wholeheartedly agree with, but annoying nevertheless.

Last edited:

davegoodo

Local time
To contact an Administrator go to the main forum page and Right Click on any f the Staff Online and start a conversation. I had the same problem as you and it tuned out it was because I was trying to post with an embedded link and I've made fewer than a 100 posts. It's an anti-spam measure which I wholeheartedly agree with, but annoying nevertheless.
Thanks for the message!

I'm still getting these spam messages and I'm unable to complete posts to the thread I am on. By the way, what is a PM? Is it Personal Message?

It seems that I can post to this thread without the administrator message preventing me.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
No links if under 100 posts. This was changed recently because of a barrage of dating site spam. @davegoodo Did you try to make a post with a link in it?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
@Jon Does that apply to profile posts as well?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:28
A different question: Regarding "no links until 100 posts" rule, does that ALSO apply to when you try to reference another post in this forum? Because that is ALSO a link.

@davegoodo - were you attempting to reference another post via right-clicking in the address bar of that post and then doing copy/paste of the URL into your new post? (Or something of similar intent?)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@Jon Does that apply to profile posts as well?
No, but I am considering removing profile links altogether. It is another type of spam that you can't check for unless you do it manually. So, lots of spammers go under the radar. Sometimes you have to throw the baby out with the bathwater, regretfully.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
A different question: Regarding "no links until 100 posts" rule, does that ALSO apply to when you try to reference another post in this forum? Because that is ALSO a link.
To be honest, I do not know if internal links are included or not. Nothing in the backend mentions any distinction. The only way to find out would be to do a test.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Since I have a lot more than 100 posts, I'm not a good test subject.

Reactions: Jon

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Makes sense to me - if we catch him before his next 23 posts.

davegoodo

Local time

@davegoodo - were you attempting to reference another post via right-clicking in the address bar of that post and then doing copy/paste of the URL into your new post? (Or something of similar intent?)
No I wasn't.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
See if you can right-click in the URL address that is at the top of this page (2nd line), then in the drop-down click COPY. Then in this thread, create a new post. In the new post at its top, look for the icon that looks like two links of chain. Click that. In the dialog box, click in the first box to paste your link. Then put some arbitrary text in the second box to become your linked item.

For example, like this.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I think, on reflection, that no links under 100 probably includes internal links too. My guess is the software is not sophisticated enough to check between internal and external links.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Interesting, and it would explain at least some of @davegoodo's observation. In the other thread on this subject, the idea that you get caught for posting by doing a cut/paste into a quote of something with a link in it would make sense. But then again, this situation doesn't surprise me. It is well known that the best testers of software are the innocent users thereof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom