How to set a Unique number for Barcode values in MS Access (1 Viewer)

Alhakeem1977

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:54
What is the best approach to set a Unique number for Barcode values?

To be used reference our customers files may one customer has many files depends on account type.

The minimum value would be the best.

I heard about algirthum is it ok to use?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:54
I am not sure what you are asking because I can think of several possible interpretations of your question. If you want a unique number for a customer, you might wish to see if there is a customer number used as a Prime Key (PK) in your list of customers. Per Access rules, a PK is necessarily unique for any single table. The PK, if assigned as an autonumber field, starts from 1 and can be defined to auto-increment when you add a new customer, so that is about as "minimum" as it gets. It would be suitable as a way to reference customer files, I suppose.

You mentioned some algorithm and asked whether it was OK to use but did not name the algorithm so I can't address that part of the question. I also don't know where barcode values fit in for your question.

Alhakeem1977

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:54
I am not sure what you are asking because I can think of several possible interpretations of your question. If you want a unique number for a customer, you might wish to see if there is a customer number used as a Prime Key (PK) in your list of customers. Per Access rules, a PK is necessarily unique for any single table. The PK, if assigned as an autonumber field, starts from 1 and can be defined to auto-increment when you add a new customer, so that is about as "minimum" as it gets. It would be suitable as a way to reference customer files, I suppose.

You mentioned some algorithm and asked whether it was OK to use but did not name the algorithm so I can't address that part of the question. I also don't know where barcode values fit in for your question.
First of all thanks for your prompt response, I meant by Barcode value is that, to get a unique reference from a built in function or some how to reference my Barcode, unfrtuantly if I use the PK then there will be a missing numbers because of reverting in data entry process. Any further clarification can be provided.

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom