How to use Crystal reports in Access application. (1 Viewer)

Bosch

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:27
Hi all..

I have created some crystal reports that I want to distribute to the users. The users do not have crystal reports on their computer. I want to package the crystal reports in the access application and package it. Access application will have a list box with all the reports and user will have to select one and click "Run report" button.

I have created crystal reports using the wizard and I connect to the SQL server database via ODBC.

What controls I need to pull into the access form? and how to code this?

I have access 2003/Crystal reports XI.

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance..

Kempes

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:27
Don't quote me on this but I beleive the software included something called info analyzer. I beleive this is a viewing tool that can be installed onto users machines purely to view saved data within a crystal report, but it would require somebody to generate the data first in order to save it. Not sure if any licenses are required for the viewing tool. best to read to EULA.

Other options would be Crystal enterprise, or Crystal Reports Distributer depending on the volume and regularity of reports

Lynn_AccessUser

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:27
On the access form insert the active x control called Crystal Reports Control. I usually change the name of the control to CrystalReports (go to properties on the control and go to the Other tab).

After you insert the active x control on the form type the following code on whatever event you want to generate the report:

CrystalReport.Connect = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1; Server=ServerName; Database=DatabaseName; UID=UserID; PWD=Password"
CrystalReport.ReportFileName = "Server path where the report resides"
CrystalReport.Action = 0

Make sure you set the permissions on each of your stored procs correctly if you are using stored procs. I have my DBA create a active directory group and put the users in that group. The active directory group then has permission to the stored proc.

If the report does not work on the user's desktop then they are missing some of the Crystal Report dlls. They do not need a license to Crystal Reports you just need to copy the correct dlls to their system folder.

Lynn_AccessUser

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:27
On the access form insert the active x control called Crystal Reports Control. I usually change the name of the control to CrystalReports (go to properties on the control and go to the Other tab).

After you insert the active x control on the form type the following code on whatever event you want to generate the report:

CrystalReport.Connect = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1; Server=ServerName; Database=DatabaseName; UID=UserID; PWD=Password"
CrystalReport.ReportFileName = "Server path where the report resides"
CrystalReport.Action = 0

Make sure you set the permissions on each of your stored procs correctly if you are using stored procs. I have my DBA create a active directory group and put the users in that group. The active directory group then has permission to the stored proc.

If the report does not work on the user's desktop then they are missing some of the Crystal Report dlls. They do not need a license to Crystal Reports you just need to copy the correct dlls to their system folder.

C

cbtx

I am not a programmer but want to connect to a crystal report directly from an access form. I am using a direct connection to access rather than going through the Access/Excel DAO.

When I tried to put the Active X control on the form, I could not see it and was told that "This Active X Control isn't visible in form view".

I am using Access 2003 and Crystal Reports Professional XI.

Thanks.

CBTX

DanG

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:27
Just curious...
If you can generate reports with Access why use Crystal reports at all?
Does Crystal have better capabilities?

Rhondann

Local time
Today, 16:27
Access Crystal Reports through Microsoft Access

I didn't know you could access Crystal Reports via Micro Soft Access. Is this hard to do.....

Can someone give me step by step information on how to do this. You could actually set up a list box with the Crystal Reports "Reports" and then access it through Microsoft Access

Thanks

Rhondann

Local time
Today, 16:27
Where do you find the Crystal Report Active X control

I tried looking in the Active X add-in's to find Crystal Report Active X, but I couldn't find it, where would you get the control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom