Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:17

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:17
Oddly enough, I just saw a news article about a UK laser defense weapon that can fire a burst of energy at incoming missiles and aircraft. The article doesn't mention the cost of the weapon itself (which, considering development and testing costs, would be substantial) but DOES mention that a 10-second energy burst costs about $13. USA defensive missiles cost a seven-digit number. Laser weapons also have no shell casings, no breach issues, and no ammunition stockpile. The worst that could happen would be that a very large capacitor blows up, but otherwise it is a remarkably safe weapon for bystanders (at least, if they are not in line of fire...)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:17
I just saw a news article about a UK laser defense weapon that can fire a burst of energy at incoming missiles and aircraft.
Does it plug into the electric grid or make its own power with gas or diesel?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:17
I believe the answer to that is classified so PERHAPS the UK military DIDN'T give the press a guided tour of the whole device.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The question was rhetorical. Does it have an extension cord?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Don't know, but found the link:
I'm being too subtle;)
The Democrats want the military to go "green" so they want everything to run on battery power. Either that or every land vehicle needs solar panels on their roofs and either huge batteries or they just shut down at night. That'll work. The fighting force will be very happy that they get to sleep uninterrupted while the sun is down. Hope the enemy doesn't have better batteries than we do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom