IAT Level II (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 02:02
I applied for a different job yesterday and three hours later, I was called for an initial interview. Things were going great until I was asked what IAT Level II certification I held.

I didn't fully understand what was being asked and it became evident to both of us that I had none. They were looking for the Security+ CE cert in particular but would have taken just about ANY level II cert.

I seems that the IT (J6) department at FT Lee has realized that an Access person is needed - this is something that most of us have been saying for quite sometime. The issue is, for a DoD contract anyway, NO ONE gets into the J6 without certain credentials.

The interviewer was almost as disappointed as I was because although there are many Security+ certs out there, there are very few with a solid background in Access and SQL Server, especially in the Richmond area. When it was determined that I was not suitable, she pleaded with me to provide a name of someone who was as this is a "hot fill" . She even hinted that the job may still be open if I were to obtain the cert (again with the @#$! certs!!)

I spent a good part of yesterday researching the Security+ cert and it appears for a $500 investment and about 30-45 days of my time, I could meet this requirement. Still on the fence but leaning towards the cert.

At any rate, I thought some of you might be interested in this subject.

Things were so much easier when I was a truck driver...

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:02
Things were so much easier when I was a truck driver...
You are probably over qualified but have you look into local school districts with the certs you already have? The pay might not be as high but when you factor in the benny's it might equal out. I recently retired after 20 with a pretty good package. Good Luck!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:02
The bad news is that the Security+ cert (I'm assuming the CompTIA variety because other certs use other names) is a once-every-three-years type of thing. It isn't a lifetime cert - for the military. Though it MIGHT have been that the Navy was the only one that didn't recognize a lifetime cert.

The problem forcing me to retire when I did was that the Navy was engaging in certification creep. I got the "lifetime" Security+, but then the Navy said "From now on that is a tri-year certificate for us." Then a little later they required other certs, so I am a fully certified OpenVMS v8.4 System Administrator, too. Then the last straw was when they said "Oh, by the way, starting this year you have to do 40 CEU per year on relevant topics AND you STILL need the tri-year Security+ or equivalent."

It was going to cost me over a thousand dollars out-of-pocket because the contract didn't include a way to repay me or my employer for any of that. Getting a required certification wasn't a line-item in the contract so no reimbursement charge numbers were available. Our cheapskate employer wasn't going to pick up the tab. I was old enough to retire, so I looked at the calendar. My first "drop-dead date" for certifications would have been Sept. 1, 2016, so I retired on Aug. 31, 2016 with absolutely no qualms. That gave me 28 1/2 years of contractor service, which I figured was enough.

I still miss the people and their comeradery but I surely do not miss the insanity of requirements creep.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
You are probably over qualified but have you look into local school districts with the certs you already have? The pay might not be as high but when you factor in the benny's it might equal out. I recently retired after 20 with a pretty good package. Good Luck!
I still have my CDL and HAZMAT endorsements...but...I have NO desire to go out on the road again. The first time I was married to a woman I did not want to be around so it fit!

The 2nd wife is a HUGE upgrade and I like to be around her...

As a side note AB, for some reason you were on my Ignore list. Had to be unintentional but my memory isnt what it used to be so what did you do to draw my ire, sire??

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
The bad news is that the Security+ cert (I'm assuming the CompTIA variety because other certs use other names) is a once-every-three-years type of thing. It isn't a lifetime cert - for the military.
Spot on and according to the requirements, it is the CE (Continuing Education) variety that I would need, especially since I would not be grandfathered in.
t was going to cost me over a thousand dollars out-of-pocket because the contract didn't include a way to repay me or my employer for any of that. Getting a required certification wasn't a line-item in the contract so no reimbursement charge numbers were available. Our cheapskate employer wasn't going to pick up the tab.
I asked about the cost of the CEUs and re-cert and the company pays (up to $500 per course) it out of "Overhead", so there is that.

After my initial post, I received a phone call from the recruiter I spoke with yesterday and the SVP wants to speak with me this afternoon so this might not be over yet. Wish me luck...hey Doc, why don't YOU take the call and pose as me??? No?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:02
I still have my CDL and HAZMAT endorsements...but...I have NO desire to go out on the road again. The first time I was married to a woman I did not want to be around so it fit!
Not as a driver but in IT. I was thinking you could use your certs there.

As a side note AB, for some reason you were on my Ignore list. Had to be unintentional but my memory isnt what it used to be so what did you do to draw my ire, sire??
Hard to say, I piss a lot of people off.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:02
hey Doc, why don't YOU take the call and pose as me???
Unfortunately, after retiring, my attitude went highly negative on some of the things typically on the exam. "WGAF" would probably be inappropriate. (Who gives a...)

I take care of the computers in our house but beyond that, it is on AT&T's to-do list. That's why I pay for their service.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:02
As a side note AB, for some reason you were on my Ignore list.

I have done this more than once, to several different people on the site. I think it's when I'm using my mobile phone, somehow it's easy to accidentally add people to the ignore list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom