Ideas?? 1 refernce number for a group of people. (1 Viewer)

harpscardiff

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:26
Hi,

I've been using excel to keep record uptodate, but i've got more than 300 people to keep track of, so using excel can limit my db.

i'm new to access, wondering if I can get you advice:

Senario:
A community temple, which i'm a member of, spend alot of time loggin who is donating and how much, with pen and paper - then update the excel spreadsheet i've done for them, don't ask me why they do it, its sort of a tradition. Evenone pays about £5 per family, 1 pound for each person.

I was thinking if each familly had a reference number, everytime they donate, they'd give there reference number and the database automatically updates with new records.

So if Mr simpson , ref 69, pays £6, the database adds 6 new records; Granpa, Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie.

how difficult is this to do?
whats best way to design the tables?

Any help is much appreciated.

Jura

Local time
Today, 21:26
For table design:

Table 1: Family
UniqueID | FamilyName
1 | Simpson
2 | Duck
3 | ....

Table 2: FamilyMembers
UniqueID / FamilyRef / FamilyMember / Donation
1 | 1 | Bart | €1
2 | 1 | Homer | €1
3 | 1 | Marge | €1
4 | 2 | Donald | €1
5 | 2 | Huey | €1
6 | 2 | Dewey | €1
7 | 2 | Louie | €1
8 | 3 | .....

With a sum query you display add all donation per family.

--------------------------------------------------------

wazz

Super Moderator
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:26
there are a few issues you need to be careful about. do you want to log a donation amount with each person? does the donation always equal one $ per person? (this affects the first part and vice versa). if two families have the same last name how do you know which family you are entering? you have to precisely ask and answer every question you can think of in order to create the design that works for your situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom